Associate II
Posted on August 17, 2006 at 14:54

What is the status with HDLC in STR712

5 REPLIES 5
yahoo1
Associate II
Posted on August 10, 2006 at 09:00

Dear Friends,

We are planning to implement an STR711 or 12 in new design. Looking to this discussion group, I saw a lot of critical comments about the status of HDLC unit. Could you please in simple words explain me what is the problems, and if we can use it for our Application. Our application is RF unit for 1200/9600 with NRZ encoding.

Is it possible to use this unit with interrupting or there is some hardware bugs, making it unusable for it.

It is very important for us, because I have to make decision about using of that chip immediately, some I’m worry about possible problems in the future.

Many that for your replies,

Kind Regards

I.M.

donald
Associate II
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 13:04

ST should really respond but as they have not, I can offer some help.

I had spent some months trying to get HDLC peripheral on STR71x to operate correctly.

I have a document of about 25 pages describing documentation issues and silicon issues with this peripheral. ST has this document since April and have known of HDLC issues for longer than this but no errata and no update to user manual.

If ST does not provide you information on

Limitations for full duplex

Limtiations for TX timing

Limtiations on messages without postamble (DPLL clock loss issue)

Limitations after aborting a TX message in progress (corrupts next pack)

Limitations if erronous flags may be received (Rx state machine gets confused)

Limtiations on recovering from RX abort or RX error (Rx state machine gets confused)

Incorrect descriptions of RCTL, PCR, PSR, FSBR and TFBCR registers

Incorrect description of the buffer functions

Then send an email to

mailto:donald@donalan.com.au

with STR71x HDLC in heading and I will see if I can assist. I will want to know a little about your company and application - if it conflicts with us I will let you know.

yahoo1
Associate II
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 18:51

Dear Donald,

Thank you very much for your answer, I will send e-mail with my details and a short description of our planned application.

Dear Moderators,

I’m really surprised with non answering form your side. Normally I would expect (if really have a problem) a short answer trying to avoid me form using it, asking for my private e-mail, or explaining what problems do you have. I would expect that company with reputation of ST should care little bit more about their customers. I would like to notice that the similar question I have sent also to support of ST but until now no answer received.

Please notice that my personal e-mail is

mailto:im@elcom.gr

so, as I saw on some other messages, you are sending some non official answers.

Please just say to me, shall I use it or not, and what problems have been recognized by ST, that I have to avoid in my application.

Thank you very much for your reply,

With Kindest Regards

I.M.

hichem2
Associate II
Posted on August 17, 2006 at 08:23

Hi All,

Sorry for the inconvenience,

An update of the Reference Manual (HDLC section)is planned for September which will summarize all the HDLC limitations.

Thank you for your comprehension,

Regards,

Hich 😉

yahoo1
Associate II
Posted on August 17, 2006 at 14:54

Hi,

That is nice,

In Greece we are saying better late than never 😉

Could you just help me making decision, are limitation allow to use it for RF radio modem for 1200 semi duplex.

Thank you very much,

Kind Regards