erik239955
Associate II
Posted on May 06, 2008 at 11:19

AN 2078 - IAP

4 REPLIES 4
erik239955
Associate II
Posted on January 31, 2007 at 19:13

The code for AN2078 (In Application Programming) runs from address 0x40000000, flash Bank 0 Sector 0. It can load programs into addresses starting at 0x40002000, flash Bank 0 Sector 1, and up through the rest of the Sectors in flash Bank 0.

How can the code located in Bank 0 Sector 0 write to other Sectors in the same flash Bank?? I do not see anywhere in the code where functions are copied to RAM, nor is this mentioned in section 1 of the App note. I am cunfused. =(

Thanks,

Erik

najoua
Associate II
Posted on February 01, 2007 at 07:19

Hello EHHoney,

In fact, the 7xx_flash.c source file is copied into and executed from the internal RAM.

This is done by using some IAR features:

Right click on the 7xx_flash.c and select Options --> Override inherited settings --> output --> Segment base name --> CODE1 is written instead of CODE.

CODE1 is defined in the start-up file 'init_table.s'included in the project files allowing the copy of a code from a segment in the flash into a segment in the RAM. It is used also in the IAR linker file 'lnkarm_flash.xcl'.

In the application note, it was noticed in section 4. STR7xx IAP implementation Summary, page 7 that program/erase operations are performed from RAM. More details about how this was performed were not given because our purpose was to give guidelines independantly of the used toolchain.

P.S: Today, the used toolchain is IAR but we plan to port the IAP driver to other toolchains.

Best regards,

Najoua.

erik239955
Associate II
Posted on February 01, 2007 at 13:23

Ahhhh, secret IAR stuff... =) I am using the GCC toolchain. Now I know what this does:

(from 71x_init.s)

IMPORT __main

; --- Now branches to a C lib function that copies RO data from their

; load region to their execute region, create the RW and ZI regions

; then jumps to user C main program.

B __main ; Note : use B not BL, because an application will

; never return this way

Thanks for clearing this up!

-Erik

silicon
Associate II
Posted on May 06, 2008 at 11:19

Hi,

I am using Keil. I am caught in the loop because of code above.

After I download blinky.bin to STR71. If I don't press P1.8 the blinky application will execute. If I press P1.8 I don't get IAP_main.

Could you give me some advice,

r,Alex