avrfreak
Associate II
Posted on December 29, 2006 at 18:29

MCBSTR9 newbie questions

3 REPLIES 3
avrfreak
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 09:34

Hello, I'm buying MCBSTR9 board soon, and I have a few newbie questions.

1. MCBSTR9 is powered via USB.

Is this really only option? (no power jack?)

If there is only USB option, do I really need PC to power the board or can I create my own USB connector with power pins connected to 5V and GND and connect this to the MCBSTR9?

Will this work?

2. USB bootloader.

Where can I get one?

I've been reading this forum a few months ago, and there was this talk about it, and now I can't find the topic anymore.

(it doesn't have to be USB, UART will do too, I just need something to flash it without using ULINK)

3. I'm a bit confused about ethernet interface on this board.

(I really don't know much about this, can someone explain please):

What is this STE100P used for?

http://www.keil.com/support/man/docs/mcbstr9/mcbstr9_to_ethernet.htm

I thought that STR912FW44 has on-chip ethernet controller, and only two things more I need to make the ethernet capable device are RJ-45 jack and that small network transformer....

So what's this IC doing here? And where is transformer on this board?

(if I wanted to build ethernet device some day, what else would I need, besides the STR912FW44 and RJ-45 jack?)

Thanks

hd2
Associate II

1. USB is the only pre-made option. There is a header on the board labled Vin+/- So you can provide your own regulated +5V and still power the board. You will need to solder a header in the unloaded holes.

2. Search in this form for DFU. It is available in .hex only, no source.

3. The STE100P is the PHY. ST decided to include the MAC in the processor but not the PHY (incase your physical layer was fiber or wireless or something other than copper). You will need a PHY. The magnetics are built in to the RJ45 jack. That's why they are sometimes called magjacks. You will need jack, magnetics, a phy and a Fast Ethernet Controller (built into STR9) in order to do ethernet.

Hope this helps

avrfreak
Associate II

thanks!