Associate II
Posted on January 03, 2007 at 10:10

Lost J-TAG contact to STR912F

6 REPLIES 6
m_j_butcher
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 09:34

Hi All

First a little background: we are presently porting the uTasker operating system with integrated TCP/IP stack to the STR91XF [Ref.

http://www.uTasker.com

]. Test platforms are IAR eval with J-Link J-Tag debugger, Raisonance and R-Link plus a board of our own.

While developing a new macro to set up the PLL speed I made a mistake which lead to the program in FLASH (on the IAR eval board) to write (0x0000001 | PLL_ENABLE) to the PLL configuration register. Since then it is no longer possible to communicate with the board with any JTAG device or any software, using any board settings.

JTAG test software says that the device can not be connected to.

Is there any explaination (I would expect problems when programming the PLL incorrectly but I would expect that the JTAG could still communicate).

Any ideas???

Best regards

Mark Butcher

heiko2399
Associate II

Hello!

I have got an error which is similar to the one of mjbcswitzerland

My system:

The board is almost like the STR912-SK from IAR - I use iSYSTEM winIDEA 2007 with iONE: the error is ''Cannot stop CPU after Startup'' - if I try with Keil RealView MDK and ULINK the error message is a little different, but it tells me that the CPU cannot be stopped...

And:

I have had the same problem with the original STR912-SK from IAR - some days later I tried it again and the problem was gone! but I don't know why.

I anybody has any idea - I will try almost everything to let the system run again.

Bye.

Heiko

anis
Associate II

Hi All,

Unfortunately the only way to recover from such situations ( wrong PLL configuration) is to use the CAPS programming tool in order to erase the flash.

For more informations please refer to point3 in errata sheet v2.0 paragraph 2.14

Best regards,

STARM

m_j_butcher
Associate II

Hi STARM

Thanks for the tips. However after an afternoon of experimenting with the CAPS program and the RLINK it seems as though it doesn't work.

According to the errata it is necessary to ''Assert Reset'' but as soon as I set that I am using the RLInk, this option is greyed out (not possible to apply). The connection test to the RLINK is good but there is still no communication with the target.

When trying to erase it says that security is set, which is probably incorrect because it really can not connect at all.

Is it perhaps possible to ''assert reset'' by modifying the JTAG connection and forcing it manually? Is this important to be able to delete or does the problem lie elsewhere?

Can you confirm that it is possible using RLink? I have read in some other forum postings that someone managed something similar it using ULink.

Regards

Mark Butcher

anis
Associate II

Hi Mark,

This is true, you can not use the CAPS ''Assert Reset'' button while using Rlink, it is possible only using Flink.

But the other way to do the flash erase is the following (using Rlink):

1- Power-down the board.

2- Power-on the board while keeping the board RESET button pressed.

3- start a program erase (keeping the RESET button pressed).

In fact keeping the board RESET button pressed is simlar as activating the ''Assert Reset''.

Best Regards,

STARM

😉

m_j_butcher
Associate II

Hi STARM

Thanks, now it was possible to delete the FLASH and continue with using the EVB!!

It was however necessary to ensure that the TRST and RESET line were not connected together.

Regards

Mark

www.uTasker.com