broadcast
Associate II
Posted on April 04, 2008 at 14:34

gnuarm and str9

6 REPLIES 6
broadcast
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 09:36

Evidence of people building str9 images using gnuarm is conspicuously absent from the internet. People are using IAR, and KEIL. Even FreeRTOS only uses IAR for str9. How can it be a Free RTOS if it needs a commercial compiler? After failing to get any gnuarm generated images to run, the evidence is pointing to gnuarm having never been compatible with str9. Can gnuarm even generate working images for str9?

mehdi239955
Associate II

Hi heroineworshipper;

>the evidence is pointing to gnuarm having never been compatible with str9.

It’s not true, be confident that all the STRx supports the GNU arm compiler even the STR9.

In fact, you can use the RIDE or HITOP5.20 debugger based on GNU arm compiler to generate a working images for STR9/7.

8-)

Here are the links to the Raisonance and Hitex web pages:

>http://www.raisonance.com/download/index.php

:-]

>http://www.hitex.com/download.html

Find attached a official brochure from ST concerning the STR developing tools.

I hope this will be helpful.

Best regards

MBS

:-]

sjo
Associate II

gnuarm uses gcc, as does Raisonance/Hitex and even Keil support's gcc.

There is a freertos port for Rowley (also uses gcc). Both Freertos and tnkernel run happily on the str9.

ecos has been ported to the str7, as has uclinux - lots of info is available if you know where to look.

Porting to the str9 is not a major issue.

Support is present within the free Openocd gdb interface for str7/9 - i know because i added it.

Also have a look at Anglia's IDEaliST - this is a free ide/toolchain for all str7/9 devices (again uses gcc).

Lots of my employers customers are using gcc for projects with no problems at all.

Any compiler that supports arm can build images for the str7/9.

Regards

sjo

sjo
Associate II

I am hoping you mean uclinux, linux is not possible on the str91 family - does not have a MMU.

Regards

sjo

mbeakes
Associate II

hi ,

I have been looking on the internet for a long time. Did you know where can I found a linux port for str9. I would like to put a linux distribution in my STR9. Can you gave me more information about linux port for STR9 or a link to a working image.

Thanks

[ This message was edited by: cameleon on 03-04-2007 22:42 ]

achim
Associate

Hello all,

this is an old thread but my question goes in the same direction.

I am new to all this ARM stuff, though not new to microcontrollers, and I am trying to run FreeRTOS on an STR9. FreeRTOS.org has an STR9 port for IAR-C but not for GCC, and the GCC ports available are for different targets. :(

Can anyone point me to a suitable port (str9 AND gcc)?

Or, alternatively, can you tell me which of the existing ports is the best starting point, and what to watch out for?

In case it's important: I use Rowley CrossWorks 1.7

Thank you and best regards,

Achim