Posted on March 04, 2009 at 12:53

New STM32 Family in Networked, Real-Time and Audio Applications

9 REPLIES 9
16-32micros
Associate III
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:04

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce you The new STM32 Connectivity Line :

This new STM32 adds a Full-speed USB On-The-Go (OTG) interface, which allows end products to act as a USB Host or USB Device. There is also an Ethernet interface featuring hardware support for IEEE1588 Precision Time Protocol (PTP). Implementing the protocol in hardware reduces CPU overhead and enables faster response for real-time applications and when synchronizing networked devices.

The new Connectivity Line is also the first STM32 family to include two CAN2.0B controllers, which allows developers to build gateway devices linking two industry-standard Controller Area Network (CAN) buses. Moreover the new MCUs support simultaneous operation of Ethernet, USB OTG and CAN2.0B peripherals, thereby allowing developers to build gateway devices using a combination of these interfaces in a single chip.

“This new MCU family brings the benefits of the STM32 architecture to extra applications in the industrial, medical, building automation, home audio, and domestic appliance markets,�? said Jim Nicholas, General Manager of ST’s Microcontroller Division. “There are now 75 MCUs across all STM32 families, benefiting from the 32-bit ARM Cortex-M3 processor and complete pin-to-pin and software compatibility, enabling our customers to base a complete line of products on a single MCU platform.�?

The STM32 Connectivity Line delivers increased audio capabilities, using an advanced Phase-Locked Loop scheme, enabling audio-class I2S communications. Combined with the ability to act as a USB host or device, the STM32 can read, decode and output audio from external storage such as a USB mass-storage device or MP3 player. Human-Machine-Interface (HMI) functions such as Play and Stop buttons, as well as display interfacing, can also be hosted on the MCU. This will allow use in various home-audio products, such as docking systems, alarm-clock/music players and home theatre.

The combination of advanced, connectivity-oriented peripherals, standard STM32 peripherals including a PWM timer, and the high processing performance of the 32-bit ARM Cortex-M3™ CPU also allow developers to consolidate multiple functions such as motor-control, user-interface control and connectivity features in equipment such as domestic appliances, building controls or industrial automation. Other applications will include systems requiring network accessibility, data-logging, or USB peripheral extension, such as patient monitors, point-of-sale terminals, vending machines, and safety or security systems.

Among software and development tools supporting the STM32 families including the new STM32 Connectivity Line, there is a free software library provided by ST as well as broad-based support from third-party tools. An evaluation board will also be available. The STM32F105 and STM32F107 Connectivity Line families are currently sampling to lead customers, and devices are priced from $3.28 in the 64-Kbyte LQFP64 package and $4.92 for 256-Kbyte devices in the LQFP100, for quantities of 10,000 units.

For more details :

http://www.st.com/mcu/inchtml.php?fdir=pages&fnam=stm32_connectivity

Stay Connected with us to continue releasing your Creativity, all my thanks to all our forums contributors, This new family was born while listening to your comments and wishes ! Many Thanks

Cheers,

STOne-

[ This message was edited by: STOne-32 on 26-02-2009 20:54 ]

pswenson
Associate II

Great news. Thanks for the update.

trevor1
Associate II

Will there be a 144 pin LQFP package?

16-32micros
Associate III

Hi trevor,

Only 64 and 100 pins packages are available.

Cheers,

STOne-32.

raptorhal
Associate II

:D I have an analog and pulse frequency data recorder application where the user connects a laptop to the recorder for downloading control information, and may connect a USB flash memory stick to upload recorded data.

The 64 pin connectivity line meets the need very well. I am looking forward to seeing some example code for the protocol negotiation required and for controlling the voltage supply.

Cheers, Hal

raptorhal
Associate II

🙂 I am puzzled about one thing regarding the OTG circuitry. Figure 43 of the 15274.pdf data sheet shows a 5V switch output for a maximum 3.6V input.

I can't spot any voltage boost on the ST2052 data sheet. Is 5V the input voltage needed ?

Cheers, Hal

[ This message was edited by: raptorhal on 28-02-2009 23:17 ]

asterix
Associate II

Bonjour ,

This is really an excellent device with many communications peripherals. I like it very much especially the Ethernet and USB OTG which are wonderful from STMicroelectronics, When we though that ST has missed the trend upon NXP (LCP17xx ) announcement last year of such devices that we still waiting for since some time ago.. :(

Next week, I will be at the ''embedded World 2009'' in Nuremberg and I'm very curious to see the real silicon running with the Ethernet and USB OTG software, I will make/share some Photos/pictures for you an post in this Forums.

Bye,

Asterix

jj
Associate II

@Asterix-

IF ok w/STOne-32 (ST booth psnl) photos/brief write-up would be appreciated by many - thank you.

Suspect that new Eval Boards will be ''in-play'' - especially like to see photos, descriptions, P & D (price/delivery) of these. <
mcu
Associate II

It looks like it's gonna be a tough competition.I just read about new micros from Luminary based on ARM Cortex-M3 R2P0 and they look really great.Finally what i've been waiting for they have included External Peripheral Interface that supports various memories and speed up a bit(up to 100MHz)plus bunch of other useful enhancements.

Regards