Associate II
Posted on February 21, 2008 at 18:57

IAR or Keil or Crossworks

7 REPLIES 7
cesar550v
Associate II
Posted on February 17, 2008 at 12:35

Hi to all.

Please can you tell me what is the best compiler for a STR751fr2, I am so confused to choice a good programmer/debuger (ULINK 2 or J_LINK or CrossConnect).

I am looking for the easier and powerful compiler, and looking for a nice IDE.

Thanks

kleshov
Associate II
Posted on February 17, 2008 at 13:39

Quote:

On 17-02-2008 at 17:05, Anonymous wrote:

I am looking for the easier and powerful compiler, and looking for a nice IDE.

If code quality is a major concern, RealView compilers are the best, and they ship with Keil. I've seen both IAR and Keil, and I can confirm this. I haven't seen IAR 5.x, though, they might have improved code quality with the new version. As for gcc, everybody seems to say that it produces lower-quality code than commercial counterparts, but I cannot confirm this. CrossWorks ships with gcc.

As for IDE and debugger, I really like Keil. Text editor is better than IAR's, too. I haven't tried CrossWorks, though.

- mike

cesar550v
Associate II
Posted on February 18, 2008 at 12:32

Thanks, I will try to buy a license of Keil RealView but first I will test it.

Do you have Ulink 2?, it is necessary to buy ulink 2 instead of another programmer because it is a little expensive ($395 US).

:D thanks for guide me.

kleshov
Associate II
Posted on February 19, 2008 at 14:21

As for me, I use a home-made wiggler. There is a piece of software called H-JTAG that enables the use of a wiggler with Keil. There are some quirks, but it's usable. And I use OpenOCD to burn the on-chip flash prior to debugging session. Code upload speed is roughly 5 Kbytes/s, YMMV. When code upload times started exceeding 2 minutes, I developed a USB-based loader which uploads firmware in a few seconds.

cesar550v
Associate II
Posted on February 20, 2008 at 00:36

Hi volius

I will try to make my own wiggler, but i have one problem because my Laptop does not have parallel port. Do you know if a USB JTAG from olimex is useful with H-JTAG?

Thanks again.

kleshov
Associate II
Posted on February 20, 2008 at 14:29

Sorry, I can't provide any guidance with respect to USB-JTAG adapters, never used one. If you have a PCMCIA slot, there is always an option of buying a PCM card with a parallel port. Perhaps, you would be better off searching google for the answer.

cesar550v
Associate II
Posted on February 21, 2008 at 18:57

Thanks for help me, I'm in debt with you.