Associate II
Posted on October 27, 2009 at 12:28

Crossworks

14 REPLIES 14
16-32micros
Associate III
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:19

Hi Trevor,

Several IDEs/Toolchains are available for the STM32 ARMâ„¢ Cortex-M3â„¢ core-based microcontrollers:

1) Rowley : CrossWorks

2) Raisonance : RIDE

3) Keil : uVision3

4) iSYSTEM :WinIdea

5) IAR :EWARM

5) Hitex :HITOP5

6) Green Hills Software : MULTI

7) Altium / TASKING : EDE

For more details please refer to this web Page

http://www.st.com/mcu/inchtml-pages-stm32_tools.html

and you can contact your preferred IDE provider to give you his last update/news and prices.

togrady
Associate II

Anyone out there using the ''Rowley Crossworks for ARM'' development suite with ST Cortex? I have used it for other ARM processors just not yet for the ST Cortex.

Regards

Trevor

ivan239955_stm1_st
Associate II

I've played with evaluation version two weeks ago and I quite liked it.

You can download STM32 package and STM32 eval board package with all HW library examples. When you create new project for STM32 it is ready go - Flash/Ram Debug/Release configurations, startup code, Flash bootloader configuration etc.

I've run couple of benchmark compiles with build in gcc compiler, I also upgraded gcc to version 2007q3-53 that's suppose to generate better code for Cortex-M3. New compiler version produced around 5-11% smaller code than original.

I liked it more then Keil suite, that was even generating slightly bigger code.

The only thing I had problem with is inline assembly that inisted on using 32 bit version of instructions, even though 16 bit was available e.g. mov r0,#0)

I haven't tried debugging with real STM32 target yet.

Let me know what's your experience.

togrady
Associate II

Thanks. I will let you know my findings once I'm up and running. We've used Crossworks for LPC ARM in the past and found it pretty good.

Is it dificult to upgrade GCC in Crossworks as you've described?

Regards

Trevor

joseph239955
Associate II

Hi Ivan,

I am not 100% sure but you might need to use ''MOVS R0, #0'' instead of ''MOV R0, #0'' for 16-bit version. GNU tool chain seems to a bit strict on this, while with tools from ARM, in traditional Thumb code you can just use ''MOV R0, #0'' to get the 16-bit version.

Because the 16-bit move instruction updates AFSR, strictly speaking the ''S'' suffix is needed. This also apply to ADDS, ORRS, etc.

ivan239955_stm1_st
Associate II

>Is it dificult to upgrade GCC in Crossworks as you've described?

Trevor, it is pretty straighforward. Get 2007q3 version of ARM gcc from www.codesourcery.com. (or use temporary copy at www.rowleydownload.co.uk/tmp/gcc-win32-2007q3-53.zip )

Replace old $(StudioDir))/gcc/bin with new one.

You'll need to backup you existing $(StudioDir)/gcc/bin directory first, so you can return to original one.

>I am not 100% sure but you might need to use ''MOVS R0, #0'' instead of ''MOV R0, #0'' for 16-bit version.

Thanks Joseph, that was indeed the problem. No problems with inline gcc assembly anymore.

Ivan

togrady
Associate II

Thanks Ivan.

pieter23
Associate

Hi all,

I'm also using Crossworks 1.7 build 15 (Linux version on Ubuntu 8.10), with a Amontec JTAGkey and the STM3210E-EVAL/A board.

I've got the same problem as mbati_19, I can connect to a STR710-EVAL board with no problems, but the STM32 board gets ''cannot identify target.Check jtag connections and that the target is powered''.

I've tried OpenOCD with the same result, not detecting target.

I started all this with Amontec Chameleon Pod (Parallel to JTAG) with success in connecting and writing to flash :D , but debuging had a problem getting passed the first function call in main :-[ .

Any ideas welcome!

Pieter.

mbati_19
Associate

hi , i am using STM32F103RBT6 ARM 32 bit CORTEX M3™ and i am searching for best compiler. i tried the crosswork but it said '' cannot identify target.Check jtag connections and that the target is powered''. i am using olimex openocd jtag tiny . i am sure that i successfully installed my jtag. what should i do to communicate with my stm32 . when i just put my jtag without stm32 it says same message on crosswork and when i put the stm32 nothing change still error message.is there anybody experienced with stm32 cortex-m3 on crosswork ? i am waiting your replies... thanks