trevor1
Associate II
Posted on July 09, 2008 at 10:38

Independent watchdog and standby mode

4 REPLIES 4
trevor1
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:39

I'm using the independent watchdog but I can't see how to disable the it when in standby mode. The LSI clock (the clock used by the watchdog) cannot be disabled while the watchdog is running.

I don't want the extra power consumption of the watchdog and LSI clock when in standby mode and I don't want the watchdog continually bringing the micro out of standby mode.

Code:

void start_watchdog(void)

{

while (IWDG->SR & 0x3); // wait for previos update operations to complete

IWDG->KR = 0x5555; // Enable independent watchdog register access

IWDG->PR = 6; // prescaller set to divice by 256 (min 6.4ms, max 26214.4ms)

IWDG->RLR = 0xFFF; // reload value (0xFFF max)

IWDG->KR = 0xCCCC; // start the watchdog

}

void stop_watchdog(void)

{

RCC_LSICmd( DISABLE ); // disable low speed internal clock used by watchdog -- !! can't do this!!

}

void stroke_watchdog(void)

{

IWDG->KR = 0xAAAA;

}

Any ideas?

Regards

Trevor

niklas
Associate II

Hi Trevor,

We had this discussion at a STM32 seminar I attended to and as I understand it you have to ''kick'' the independant watchdog all the time. It cannot be stopped except when in debug mode. The longest timeout that can be used is 17.4 s @60kHz. This means you have to wakeup from standby at least every 17th second to kick the watchdog.

I will not use the independant watchdog 🙂

/Miklas

trevor1
Associate II

Hi Miklas,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess as a ''dirty hack'' I could program a backup register with a certain value, say 0xDEADBEEF, and then reset. On reset if I read this value I zero it and go into standby without enabling the independent watchdog.

If on reset I read anything other than 0xDEADBEEF I enable the watchdog and continue to run my application.

Trevor

niklas
Associate II

Hi Trevor

Interesting idea. Perhaps you don't even need to mess around with the backup registers since it is possible to determine the cause to reset by reading RSS_CSR. ''If software reset then standby else run as normal'' or something like that

/Niklas

PS. It should be Niklas, I made a typo in my first post 🙂