Associate II
Posted on October 15, 2008 at 06:07

USB driver install and packaging questions

3 REPLIES 3
trevor1
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:44

Hi,

I'm using USB on the STM32 in virtual COM port mode and I need to package the CDC driver with other PC tools for use by the end customer. I recently installed the latest driver (vcpdriver_v1.1_setup.zip) which is an exe.

What is this install file actually doing? Is it just 'installing' the inf file -- what was called stmcdc.inf? I end up with a oem31.inf in my windows/inf directory which has a strings section like so:-

Code:

[Strings]

STM = ''STMicroelectronics''

MFGNAME = ''STMicroelectronics''

DESCRIPTION = ''STM Virtual COM Port''

SERVICE = ''USB Virtual COM port''

I want the virtual COM port have a name that is more meaningful to my end user than ''STM Virtual Com Port'' as the end user does not know what a STM32 is ;-). I would like the end user to see something like '''product name' Virtual Com Port''.

I presume I could edit the inf file? Would it be the ''DESCRIPTION'' string that I change? Does this affect the name in the firmware library i.e. in usb_desc.c? I would like to change this also. I presume they need to match.

Hope someone can help,

Regards

Trevor

paul
Associate II

The usb_desc.c descriptors are used to show a user what the device identifies it self as.

The strings in the inf file are used to put a name to the virtual com port. They don't not have to be the same, but most likey you will want them the same so that you don't confuse people.

trevor1
Associate II

Thanks for your response Paul.

Can anyone from ST comment on what exactly the vcpdriver_v1.1.exe does? Is it just installing the inf file and if so can this be done without the exe so that I can change the description strings in the inf file.

Where can we get the latest inf file?

Regards

Trevor