lanchon
Associate II
Posted on April 04, 2009 at 17:08

stdio via USB virtual COM port

48 REPLIES 48
lanchon
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:28

here's a simple library to route stdio over USB using serial port emulation. it's very easy to integrate into non USB-enabled projects, take a look at main.c. it implements bidirectional blocking I/O (flow control on the PC should be set to none). hopefully all data races in the virtual COM port sample app were solved. (less than 10KB.)

lanchon
Associate II

I forgot to mention that you can't type into the virtual COM using HyperTerminal, but you *can* paste into it; go figure!

I imagine it has to do with the VCOM code not implementing the RS-232 handshake signals, an issue of ST's VCOM implementation.

PuTTY works fine but sends '\r' as line terminator and can't be made to send '\n' (or I'm dumb). Termite works ok but only transmits complete lines.

lanchon
Associate II

small changes to clean up interface and allow reading of tx/rx buffer availability, see usb_endp.h.

paul
Associate II

I am not getting stuck in the USB_LP_CAN_RX0_IRQHandler(). This is due to wInterrupt_Mask not being set before the first interrupts come in. Then the board is continuously in the ISR as the interrupt is never cleared. I tried setting wInterrupt_Mask to 0xF00, this just caused a BusFault.

I am not experienced at all with USB so a little help to get up and running would be great.

Regards Paul

paul
Associate II

lanchon,

I am using the STM32-EVAL board. I have compiled your code using arm-none-eabi-gcc. During startup I just hang in Virtual_Com_Port_Init(), specifically at line 124: while (((volatile DEVICE_INFO*) pInformation)->Current_Configuration == 0);

Is there something that I need to press/configure on the EVAL board to get the board to boot?

Regards Paul

paul
Associate II

I should have read the documentation before asking.

On page 14/46 in the STM32-Eval board the J1 needs to be placed on pins 1-2, the default was pins 2-3 and simulated USB disconnect mode.

Thanks for the code lanchon.

lanchon
Associate II

> During startup I just hang in Virtual_Com_Port_Init()

> in the STM32-Eval board the J1 needs to be placed on pins 1-2, the default was pins 2-3 and simulated USB disconnect mode.

in main.c there are a few macros named USB_PULLUP_* or something like that define which pin is used for controlled USB pullup (simulated USB disconnect). you need to set these for your board (I think it's PD9 on your case, but check). that's all the configuration necessary.

> wInterrupt_Mask not being set before the first interrupts come in. Then the board is continuously in the ISR as the interrupt is never cleared.

there might be race conditions in the USB lib during startup and shutdown. if I had to guess, I'd say that the cause of the problem might be that some conditions arise as a result of having the USB pullup fixed as active by the jumper, that trigger the interrupt before the library is initialized (maybe an RX event or an overrun or whatever, I know very little about the USB macrocell). if this is true then fixing the USB_PULLUP_* macros would also solve this problem.

niksa
Associate II

Hi,

first thanks for the great library. I was using it on Olimex prototype board and it works great.

However, recently I switched to a custom-designed hardware. On the custom design we don't have a USB pullup pin as the device is powered through USB and USB is constantly connected. So defines as USB_PULLUP_GPIO_PORT are not used.

My startup code gets stuck in the same place as described: it freezes in USB_Init() -> Virtual_Com_Port_Init() -> PowerOn(), on the last instruction:

_SetCNTR(wInterrupt_Mask);

Although, after the freeze, I do get one

USB_LP_CAN_RX0_IRQHandler interrupt that is handled by USB_Istr(), in the first IF statement:

if (wIstr & ISTR_RESET & wInterrupt_Mask)

Why does the code block when there is no pullup pin? When we designed the custom hardware it seemed we don't need it for our application. But now, I am not sure. I wouldn't like to go through one more hardware revision.

I am using STM32F103T8U6 chip.

Best regards,

Niksa

mvi
Associate II

As far as I know the pullup is needed so that the Host knows a new device is plugged in and can start an enumeration. On the other hand, the host runs occasional enumerations to update the device list. So i cant really confirm anything.

On my design I included a pullup that can be turned on and off via a couple of transistors.

With lanchons help I managed to get the USB VCOM running 100%. The VCOM lib from ST enables you to send only one byte at a time, which wasnt good enough for my design.