new devices and header file

Posted on June 02, 2008 at 07:04

new devices and header file

7 REPLIES 7
16-32micros
Associate III
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:35

Dear Jan,

Thank you for your interest and your valuable feedback on this point. I will escalate this point to relevant people & in case if this wish will be expressed by others customers , we will implement i. because as you know it has a cost and We can not implement everything at the same time. By the way, I know that our Tools partners already have some similars files.

Cheers,

ST1.

Hi,

I would like to ask very kindly STOne-32 and ST software people if there is a chance to release a header file for STM32 family?

I assume that the library will be updated to cover for new devices and it is great.

However many people would like to use their own creation and their own style, using library as a valuable guide.

Jan

lanchon
Associate II

hi ST,

many people already voiced their desire for this in a previous thread, we even discussed generating headers by translating the config files in the Ride7 simulator.

if you go through with this, may I suggest that you create (and publish) an xml description of the register set instead. you can generate c and asm headers from it. plus, most registers will require bit fields, and there are lots of ways to express them. with xml the user can choose: identifier styles, macros vs consts, masks vs bit positions, c/c++ bit fields vs inline getter/setters vs macros or consts, etc.

you can define an xml transform that will shadow every register definition with 32 word definitions in the bitband region, thus gaining correct bitbanding for everything for free in all languages you support.

going further, you can generate the complete register definition tables in the reference manual from the xml file by replacing the tables with register references in the document source. that way you don't have to maintain duplicate data sets.

you could get a head start by extracting a good part of the xml from the tables of the current manual (and automatically replacing with references). you could sanity-check by comparing with Ride7 files.

lanchon

16-32micros
Associate III

Hi Lanchon,

Thx for this great idea ! Do you have an simple example I can show to my teammates in software 😉

Cheers,

STOne-32.

gommel
Associate II

Rowley's CrossWorks uses XML files for their debugger.

As an example I attached one file they supply for the STM32F103T8.

lanchon
Associate II

hi ST,

unfortunately not, I've never done this, it's just the way I'd do it if I had to. it should be simple except for the ref manual integration; that fully depends on the tools you use.

PS.

gommel, thanks for the info.

stevemelnikoff9
Associate II

This is a previous thread on the subject:

http://www.st.com/mcu/forums-cat-6434-23.html

Steve.