cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which IDE is for me, they can't all be good!?

davidbloomfield
Associate II
Posted on January 02, 2008 at 17:12

Which IDE is for me, they can't all be good!?

3 REPLIES 3
davidbloomfield
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:20

Hello, I want to develop a sensorless brushless controller using the STM32. I am becoming VERY confused by all the different companies offering their own IDE's, debuggers, simulators, and starter kits. Which company offers the most complete setup with the easiest to use interface and debugging hardware?

It will be hard enough learning how to program the Cortex, but I do not want additional headaches with misbehaving software/cryptic compiler errors, etc. I will pay more for the system that provides the least headaches, but right now I have no idea which that is. I will gladly go with open source or even buy a computer and dedicate it to linux if that's what it takes to get the best programming environment possible. I would MUCH rather spend $1000 and get something that works great, than spend 2 weeks pulling my hair out. I've done that too many times in the past, and don't want to go completely bald. I look forward to reading the responses.

P.S. I hope to download ST's brushless code to get going. So hopefully I will not have to write the software from scratch.

Here is a list of some of the options....

Hitex

Keil

Codesourcery

Rowley Associates Crossworks

IAR

Raisonance

GNUARM - does this work for the STM32???

iSystem

Green Hills Softare

Anglia - Free download I think www.st-angliamicro.com

Arrow - programmers, etc.

Olimex - JTAG debuggers

[ This message was edited by: davidbloomfield on 30-12-2007 02:59 ]

aksinghal
Associate II

I use Rowley Crossworks. So far it has been working well. Upon their suggestion, I used their cross connect lite and it worked first time with my hardware. To get started, one has to go through their help section.

davidbloomfield
Associate II

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try out Crossworks as well, since it seems to support the Olimex programmers/debuggers which are inexpensive. It's also very reasonably priced for the personal license.

The Raisonance interface looks fantastic too, but I think I am correct that it only works with their hardware :(