cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion STM32 in wider pitch pin pakages ? please vote ?

tta
Associate II
Posted on February 15, 2008 at 00:07

Suggestion STM32 in wider pitch pin pakages ? please vote ?

3 REPLIES 3
tta
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:23

ok you all know STM32 exist in LQFP48-64-100

the pin width is 0.22mm and the spacing picth is 0.5mm

this demands higher accuracy in PCB boards and assembly machines,

this higher accuracy demand, cost a bit extra in production.

so if ST will make STM32 in TQFP32-64-100

with pin width 0.35mm and spacing picth 0.8mm

we could:

1 save money in production,

2 get higher assembly yeld on low toll. manufacturing

3 hand rework and easy fast prototyping

4 we could use lower cost PCB tollerances

The cost of STM32 are in the range of kicking even the cheapest 8 bits out of our boards in my company ! the only problem we have is the pitch.

So people, let the people talk!!

please put in your feelings about this ??

YES / NO / Good idea / Bad Idea / why ?

ivanov-i
Associate II

The TQFP case with 0.5mm pitch is used for many years - it became de-facto standard for many CPUs. None of the PCB production and assembling companies noted about any problem with them.

We also do manual assembly of these chips for single prototypes by ourselves without any special equipment.

By the other hand, all we are trying to make our boards smaller and the 0.8mm pitch chip, which occupies twice bigger area than the 0.5mm one, will not help for it . :(

gdp123a
Associate II

I am very happy with the pitch of the 48 pin package. I tend to design small boards (eg. 30mm by 30mm) so I wouldn't want a bigger package. I hand soldered the 48 pin package on my board and I'm just an average solderer. My brother who has had training in soldering techniques can solder a whole side of these pins in a single swipe (using a good flux and a blob of solder on a broad tip). Most modern production equipment should have no problems with this pitch.