andy239955_stm1
Associate II
Posted on October 14, 2008 at 21:38

adc1 and dma reliability issue

4 REPLIES 4
andy239955_stm1
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:40

After a few million scans my set of scan data shifts (circularly) one channel. It stays shifted until I reset the processor.

This is an unlivable bug, and I can't reliably detect if the shift has occurred just be looking at the data.

I am using DMA to store the conversions. Since the data shifts circularly (DMA only writes to the correct addresses) it seems that the adc sequencer must be at fault.

I trigger the scan via the software start bit, called from a 1kHz periodic timer routine (the system timer tick). I use bitband access for the start scan bit (cr2 bit 22).

I set the settling time to the maximum (to minimize one channel's value from affecting another's).

I process the scanned values in the DMA ISR.

When I stop the processor after the fault all of the ADC configuration values are unchanged from my initialization.

Since a single software conversion is actually a scan of 1 channel I have no confidence that asking for conversions one at a time is going to solve the problem.

Am I alone in my using the adc in this way?

Am I alone in needing the hardware to work correctly more than 30 million times in a row?

----

The only truly weird thing I do is to use structs for access to the adc controller registers. Using a struct requires that the controller register support single byte accesses, and the manual doesn't state which registers require 16 or 32 bit access. Some peripherals don't work with 8 bit accesses but I can't imagine that being intermittent, and after configuration is completed I use bit-band access so the use of a struct should be moot.

stevemelnikoff9
Associate II

Hi Andy.

Can you post here the revelant parts of your code?

Thanks,

Steve.

ryan2399
Associate II

Andy,

Are you setting the continuous bit (Bit 1 - CONT) in ADC_CR2?

If so then you shouldn't keep hitting the ADC with a SWSTART every 1ms. Just once will do. I'll assume there is no issue with the structs you're using (since you've checked the register contents with a debugger)

Have the DMA automatically reload its counter and use continuous conversions for the ADC and then it's pretty much hands off after that.

I'm scanning with dual-convertors (8 channels total) and using the DMA to store 4 sets of conversions for each channel and it has never gone out of sync.

Ryan

andy239955_stm1
Associate II

my bad,

I was running the ADC at 16MHz, its max frequency is 14MHz.

I finally noticed a comment in my code:

//todo: set the adc prescaler.