Associate II
Posted on February 16, 2009 at 20:40

info on single 32bit write to io port

4 REPLIES 4
mkefalas
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:03

Thanks jj

Is a cpld combination cheaper than a FMSC equiped device ?.

What CPLD have you used?.

I have one LCD but ,although 8080 bus compliant, uses 18 bits

single cycle write and two cycles 16 bit mode (plus shifts).

So i would like to avoid two write cycles .

jj
Associate II

If you choose a ''non-FSMC'' device you are limited to a 16 bit width.

To control a color, TFT Lcd we needed a 16 bit data bus plus various control signals & strobes. Our solution was to choose 12 bits from a port - and then perform ''back to back'' writes/reads to a CPLD we placed between the micro & TFT. Within the CPLD we created ''automatic strobes'' which yielded the fastest transfer with least software overhead...

mkefalas
Associate II

Hi

I'm new to the STM32 .As is see the ouput ports are 16 bit wide.

I need to address memory with 20 address lines .I don't want to use

the memory interface some parts have .Is it possible to write a single

32 bit word to an output port in a single command ?. I don't want to write 16bit lo-address and then 4 bit for the rest of the adress lines.

Any help would be appreciated.

jj
Associate II

Hi back,

Our study showed our best value resulted from non-FSMC STM32 and our low cost, special CPLD. (developed between major University & my firm) By this means we can gain better volume discount with STM32 - and selectively ''fit'' our CPLD.

I've been in displays for quite awhile - haven't found it home to best/brightest. (just try to get tech support - or a data sheet which hasn't been scanned into illegibility) 18 bit data (6-6-6) seems SO wasteful. (transfer 1st 16 bits, then a 2nd transfer of 2 bits - plus further strobes)

Suggest that you consider 16 bit data (5-6-5) but then you require CS, WR, and at least 1 Adr. bit. Now you see why we chose TWO - back to back 12 bit transfers. Taking ALL 16 bits from an STM32 ''exhausts'' ALL of that port - in our case we elected to keep the RTC - which would have been lost if we used all 16 bits - and we still would not have satisfied strobes/control requirement!

We will be introducing a new family of economical, extreme contrast TFTs ranging from 2.4 - 8.0'' - all with the ''same'' interface: SPI, I2C, Uart or 8 bit parallel. You may select a version with a pre-programmed STM32 -or buy just the raw display. Good luck with your project.