marcus2399
Associate II
Posted on September 08, 2009 at 08:51

How should i create SVC calls from C?

3 REPLIES 3
marcus2399
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:22

In my hobby kernel, I have so far defined a few system calls. Currently I call them by doing inline assembly calls from a C program (I use gcc) or directly using the SVC instruction from an assembly program.

I am looking for a nice and compact way to call systems calls from C, i.e. a call like:

buffer = rtos_alloc(42);

should end up something like this after compilation:

mov r12, 1 # 1 = syscall id for alloc

mov r0, 42

svc

The return value from rtos_alloc is located in r0 which can then be assigned to ''buffer''.

I have tried a number of tricks using macros like:

#define rtos_syscall_1(CALL_ID, RET_TYPE, NAME, TYPE0, NAME0)

__attribute__ ((always_inline)) static inline RET_TYPE NAME(TYPE0 NAME0)

{

asm volatile(''mov r12, ''stringify(CALL_ID)''\n\t''

''mov r0, %0\n\t''

''svc\n\t'':: ''r'' (NAME0));

}

to define inline assembly functions, but I can't get it to work properly. Are there any better ways to do this?

picguy
Associate II

Go for clarity, not compactness.

Each function i.e. timer wait, wait for event, allocate etc should have its own subroutine.

Consider this (using IAR asm syntax) . . .

char* rtos_alloc(int arg)

{

// note: arg already in r0

asm (mov r12,#1); // allocate opcode

asm (svc 0);

// kernel returns address in r0

// ignore “no return value warning� (or turn it off)

}

This may take an extra stack level and a few extra lines of code. The compiler will push lr before calling rtos_alloc (unless it has already saved lr in the calling module.) You always have the bl rtos_alloc and the bx lr overhead. ‘Tiz a small price to pay for clarity.

It’s more work in your svc handler but you could use the svc code to say which function you are calling.

(But don’t inline a function that assumes r0 is set on entry. IAR noticed that arg was not used and optimized out loading r0.)

marcus2399
Associate II

Hi!

Thanks for your answer, I agree with you. Clarity is very important. Without considering the options, I was initially aiming for a compact inlined solution which, as you mention, might save a couple of instructions but increases complexity. GCC in this case pushes lr in the calling function anyway, so that wont give any extra cost.