Vector source file(example.lkf) error

12 REPLIES 12
sandeep2
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 15:02

I downloaded:

1) the STVD and STVP from

''http://www.st.com/stonline/products/support/micro/files/sttoolset.exe''

2) the free 16K version of Cosmic compiler for STM8 from ''http://www.cosmicsoftware.com/download_stm8_16k.php''

Started with the ''Cosmic C Tutorial'' given in the STVD help.

Selected the target MCU as ''STM8AF/H51AA''.

Performed all the steps given in the chapters ''11.1 Setup'' & ''11.2 Build''.

While performing steps given in Chapter ''11.2.6 Building the application'', i.e. while performing build, the compiler reported following errors:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

#error clnk c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example.lkf:14 can't open file crtsx.st7

#error clnk c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example.lkf:15 can't open file libim.st7

#error clnk c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example.lkf:16 can't open file libm.st7

The command: ''clnk -l''C:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_16K\Lib'' -o Debug\timer.sm8 -mDebug\timer.map ''c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example.lkf'' '' has failed, the returned value is: 1

exit code=1.

Clearly, the files, crtsx.st7, libim.st7 & libm.st7, reported by the compiler are related to ST7.

These file names are mentioned in the example.lkf file (located under folder: \Program files\STMicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\Example\tutorial_cosmic)

I wish to know what changes do I need to do in the example.lkf file (if required) or what changes do I need to do in the configuration settings that will help to get rid of these errors and will help to proceed.

Regards,

SU

mozra27
Associate II

Hi Sandeep,

When you create the workspace select ''STM8 Cosmic'' from Toolchain list.

Exactly the files, crtsx.st7, libim.st7 & libm.st7, reported by the compiler are related to ST7. The correspond files related to STM8 are: crtsx.sm8, libim.sm8 & libm.sm8.

Regards

Mozra

sandeep2
Associate II

I modified the example.lkf file by including the references to files crtsx.sm8, libim.sm8 and libm.sm8 and saved the file as example_stm8.lkf. Included this lkf file(auto generation feature disabled) under linker input settings. Now when I try to perform Rebuild All, it reports following errors:

#error clnk c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example_stm8.lkf:17 can't open file libim.sm8

The command: ''clnk -l''C:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_16K\Lib'' -o Debug\timer.sm8 -mDebug\timer.map ''c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example_stm8.lkf'' '' has failed, the returned value is: 1

exit code=1.

When I checked at the location “C:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_16K\Lib�, ‘libim.sm8’ was not present. I, thus tried to do some tinkering by changing ‘libim.sm8’ name to ‘libis.sm8’(as this file was present at the location) to check what happens. After performing Rebuild All, it reported following errors:

#error clnk c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example_stm8.lkf:1 symbol c_smodx not defined (Debug\timer.o )

#error clnk c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example_stm8.lkf:1 symbol _rand not defined (Debug\timer.o )

#error clnk c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example_stm8.lkf:1 symbol c_ltor not defined (Debug\timer.o )

#error clnk c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example_stm8.lkf:1 symbol c_lgadc not defined (Debug\timer.o )

#error clnk c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example_stm8.lkf:1 symbol __stack not defined (C:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_16K\Lib\crtsx.sm8 )

#error clnk c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example_stm8.lkf:1 symbol c_lcmp not defined (Debug\timer.o )

#error clnk c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example_stm8.lkf:1 symbol f_main not defined (C:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_16K\Lib\crtsx.sm8 )

The command: ''clnk -l''C:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_16K\Lib'' -o Debug\timer.sm8 -mDebug\timer.map ''c:\program files\stmicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\example\tutorial_cosmic\example_stm8.lkf'' '' has failed, the returned value is: 1

exit code=1.

Same errors were also reported when reference to ‘libis.sm8’ was removed(ie only crtsx.sm8 and libm.sm8 were referred) from the example_stm8.lkf file.

Please suggest what should be done.

-SU

luca239955_st
Associate III

Hello,

libiM (note the uppercase) does not exist in STM8, as ''M'' is an st7 memory model that is not supported in stm8 (because it's useless).

Generally speaking, you cannot port a st7 projet by just changing something manually in the linker file: you need at least to recompile everything with the proper compiler and a coherent memory model between the compiler (options) and the linker (file).

I have no idea what went wrong with the tutorial installation, but the whole idea behind stvd is that you let it generate the linker file for you, unless you know exactly what you are doing and want to do it by hand.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Luca (Cosmic)

sandeep2
Associate II

Hi Luca,

Thanks for providing info about 'libiM'.

I was actually refering to the Cosmic C tutorial (Section 11.2.4 Customize the Linker options).

The confusion started because the 'example.lkf' file (located under: Program files\STMicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\Example\tutorial_cosmic\ ) is not updated for STM8. It refers to ST7 related settings. It will be great if this issue(of updating the 'example.lkf' for STM8) is being taken care of in the future ''sttoolset'' setup for STM8. Also the Cosmic C tutorial could be updated for target STM8.

Appriciate you help.

Regards,

SU

bassinux
Associate II

Hi Sandeep,

I suggest to construct a project from stratch (from the begining) so :

1) Select your MCU and compiler toolchain

2) In the setting, I suggest to work with Long Stack model memory, so you must choose in the startup file crtsi0.sm8 or crts0.sm8

3) keep the Linker option by default

4) Generate your Project, it will contains the main.c the interrupt table vector

5) Compile and built this project

6) If all is OK, add sources files to your project and recompile

let me know if you have any problems

Best regards

Bassinux

sandeep2
Associate II

Hi Bassinux,

As per your suggestion, I performed following steps:

1) Selected toolchain as ''STM8 Cosmic'', toolchain root as ''Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_16K'' & MCU as ''STM8AF51AA''.

2) Selected ''Long Stack (+modsl0)'' under Project Settings -> C Compiler -> Memory Models.

3) Selected ''crtsi0.sm8'' under Project Settings -> Linker -> Start-up file.

4) Kept the linker input 'auto'.

5) The project contained main.c & stm8_interrupt_vector.c. Performed rebuild all. It reported no errors.

Now when I add source and header files for ADC (ADC_ContinuousConversion) given in the STM8A firmware library, I get some linker errors.

Please note that I replaced the default generated main.c and stm8_interrupt_vector.c with those given for ADC. Also ensured that 'Vector file name'(under Project settings -> Linker -> Input) is selected providing the correct path(to that of ADC & not the default one).

Regards,

SU

bassinux
Associate II

Hi,

Can you send me error messages displayed in this last case.

sandeep2
Associate II

Following errors were reported:

#error clnk Debug\adc.lkf:1 symbol _GPIO_WriteLow not defined (Debug\stm8a_it.o )

#error clnk Debug\adc.lkf:1 symbol _GPIO_WriteHigh not defined (Debug\stm8a_it.o )

#error clnk Debug\adc.lkf:1 symbol _GPIO_Init not defined (Debug\main.o )

The command: ''clnk -l''C:\Program Files\COSMIC\CXSTM8_16K\Lib'' -o Debug\adc.sm8 -mDebug\adc.map Debug\adc.lkf '' has failed, the returned value is: 1

exit code=1.