cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How get a nice looking hardware (sorry if OT)?

sarling
Associate II
Posted on March 06, 2009 at 21:41

How get a nice looking hardware (sorry if OT)?

24 REPLIES 24
sarling
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:04

Hi all,

I'm wondering how people do when they have finshed prototyping, and want to to make a custom made housing with printing and stuff that you see on electrical devices. Let's say I have finished compliance testing my ARM-hardware and have approval for market and want to sell a 100 pcs, where do I start? First I need a contractor to manufacture and assemble my PCBs, then I need a contractor for buidling a nice housing as cheap as possible. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Some companies with good repuation?

Kind regards,

Mattias

st3
Associate II

Quote:

I have finished compliance testing my ARM-hardware and have approval for market and want to sell a 100 pcs, where do I start?

Wouldn't you need the casing design before you can gain ''compliance'' or ''approval for market''?

Quote:

then I need a contractor for buidling a nice housing as cheap as possible.

No - you need to design the housing before it can be manufactured!

This requires a designer with both the technical skill & experience in materials & mechanical design to make it practical, and with the ''artistic'' or ''aesthetic'' flair to make it attractive.

You will probably find that local contract manufacturers may have an in-house design service, or can recommend or suggest a designer for you.

Otherwise search local directories for ''industrial designers'' or ''product designers'', etc

Unfortunately, ''nice'' and ''cheap'' are often mutually exclusive!

Especially at such low volumes.

For just 100 units, you are probably going to be stuck with just ''customising'' an off-the-shelf enclosure...

st3
Associate II

Quote:

Wouldn't you need the casing design before you can gain ''compliance'' or ''approval for market''?

Also, your designer will have more options if you get them involved earlier...

sarling
Associate II

Hi,

thanks for your reply. These compliance tests are horribly expensive, do you know of any ''short-cuts''?

/Mattias

sarling
Associate II

Quote:

On 03-03-2009 at 14:15, Anonymous wrote:

The ''classic'' way around compliance testing is for you to NOT offer a finished product - but instead a ''component.'' (i.e. a preprogrammed STM32 & associated chips installed/tested on a pcb)

This would be sold - in turn - to (likely) a larger firm able to properly market/launch - mold a purpose-built enclosure - and gain economies of scale.

Always check with your attorney prior to adopting (even well-meant) advice...

Interesting, that would save an enormous amount of pain. Do you know what a typical amount/percentage for such a deal would be? Perhaps impossible to tell. I guess there are several ways todo this, licence etc.

/Mattias

jj
Associate II

The ''classic'' way around compliance testing is for you to NOT offer a finished product - but instead a ''component.'' (i.e. a preprogrammed STM32 & associated chips installed/tested on a pcb)

This would be sold - in turn - to (likely) a larger firm able to properly market/launch - mold a purpose-built enclosure - and gain economies of scale.

Always check with your attorney prior to adopting (even well-meant) advice...

jj
Associate II

As you suspect - every deal is unique - depends upon the ''excellence, breadth, flexibility & security (patents/similar)'' of your device; the expected market size; and the skill/urgency of each side's negotiators.

(in a past life I co-founded - then took public - hi-tech (Lcd) firm - thus I have some experience. This is the technique we employed)

Suggest that you ''sharpen'' your focus - try to become really expert in ''hot, key'' areas - which exhibit high growth & meet profit objectives.

Building relationships with larger firms - then drilling down to their product ''roadmaps'' - should reveal what they feel will become ''hot.'' You then must compete with their internal staff - if you do have a ''durable, competitive advantage'' (credit W. Buffet) you can succeed handsomely...

jj
Associate II

sorry - dreaded duplicate msg...

[ This message was edited by: jj.sprague on 03-03-2009 16:01 ]

relaxe
Associate II

I suggest you take a look at www.sparkfun.com

They have a service for custom enclosure and tutorials to make your owns.

They also manufacture and resell various electronic boards/projects, and your may fit in their scope.

-Relaxe