Associate II
Posted on July 07, 2009 at 13:38

Execution Time

3 REPLIES 3
jean-claude
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:16

Hello,

I need to know execution time of few opération to do an integration.

I want to stock the time value in a variable. Which will be use after.

I think i must use interupts of timers but i don't success to identify this founction in the exemples.

Someone ever done this works ? if yes can i see the code ?

Thanks. Jean-Claude

[ This message was edited by: jean-claude.vedy-renexter on 07-07-2009 12:54 ]

swhite
Associate III

Being an electrical/electronic engineer I usually toggle a port pin and use an oscilloscope to measure execution/delay/interrupt times.

kutnickg
Associate II

The easiest way to do this is to use the SysTick timer, which doesn't require much to setup and doesn't have to be cascaded while still giving a good range. You can use either clock ticks or clock ticks / 8 to measure the period. You don't have to use interrupts - you only have to read the counter before and after and take the difference, with some care taken to handle the case where the counter overflowed.

Try this:

Code:

int32_t clock_ticks;

// Enable SysTick with (AHB / 😎 clock, use 0x5 for AHB

STK_CTRL = 0x1;

clock_ticks = STK_VAL;

// Perform your operation here

clock_ticks = (STK_VAL - clock_ticks) & 0xFFFFFF;

// Do something to report clock_ticks, ie look at the value in a

// debugger, print it over USART, etc

You can find the addresses of STK_CTRL and STK_VAL in the STM32 programming manual (document PM0056).

The & 0xFFFFFF should take care of overflow. The number can be interpreted as (1 / clock_speed) * 8 * clock_ticks seconds. So if your clock speed is 72MHz and clock_ticks is 1000 then it means your operation took (1 / 72000000) * 8 * 1000 = 1.11111e-4 seconds, or about 111 microseconds. If you use STK_CTRL = 0x5 then take out the * 8 in the calculations.