Associate
Posted on June 02, 2009 at 10:42

Questions about STM32 project

2 REPLIES 2
info141
Associate
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:13

Hello to all,

I'm new to SMT32 and I'm going to make a large project which involves a PC and two separate boards with two STM32F103RE on-board.

The PC will be connected to the first board through USB. The two boards will be connected through a serial communication (RS232 or RS485).

I'm wondering if I can handle the following features:

* firmware upgrade: via USB for the first board, via USB + serial to reach the second one. The download should begin after a software command, I can't use a push button to start the upgrade routine.

* I need two separate serial channels on the USB connection (between the PC and the first board) at 115200, 8N1.

Do you think these key points are easily handled? 😉

Thanks!

Marco Trapanese

Italy

[ This message was edited by: info89 on 02-06-2009 13:26 ]

st3
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:13

Quote:

I'm new to SMT32 and I'm going to make a large project...

It is usually more sensible to start with a small project, and work up from there.

Whatever you do, don't try to build the whole thing, then switch it all on and hope that it works.

Do it step-by-step; eg,

Start with a ''simple'' (sic) USB connection from one STM32 to a PC;

Build yourself some diagnostic features over that link - printf, etc.

and so on, step-by-step...

Quote:

I'm wondering if I can handle the following features:

* firmware upgrade: via USB for the first board, via USB + serial to reach the second one. The download should begin after a software command

No problems.

You should treat the software update and the data transfer as separate functions - the updater shouldn't care how the data arrrives.