johnmangino
Associate II
Posted on June 19, 2009 at 00:39

Need Virtual comm port help

8 REPLIES 8
johnmangino
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:15

I need to get the virtual comm port working. I have a IAR STM3210B - SK evm. I connect the EVM and the pc sees the device and I cancel the new hardware manager as the Virtual comm port install says to do, then I continue the comm port install but it does not add a virtual comm port. It has the device as a unknown device with no driver. The device is called CD Class.

I need to know what SW to program the evm and what I need to get the comm port working.

John

[ This message was edited by: johnmangino on 17-06-2009 23:25 ]

st3
Associate II

Quote:

I need this to work for my client.

Presumably, you client is paying you to get this to work?

What portion of that fee will you be sharing with forum the member(s) who help you to get this going...?

johnmangino
Associate II

I thought the forum help people who use these products.

Actually I am the developer.

[ This message was edited by: johnmangino on 17-06-2009 23:25 ]

st3
Associate II

Quote:

I thought the forum help people who use these products.

Of course - but it seems a bizarre thing to put in your opening post:

Quote:

I need this to work for my client.

As if that should give your request higher priority; or as if others don't have employers and/or clients for whom they need to get things working.

Maybe it just lost something in translation - if so, I apologise.

Anyhow, what, exactly, have you tried so far?

Are you using a standard ST example or app note? If so, which one(s)?

Are you using something from IAR? If so, what - and have you asked IAR?

What debugging have you done on the target?

What (if any) tools do you have to monitor what's happening on the USB wires and/or in the PC?

[ This message was edited by: st7 on 18-06-2009 09:48 ]

johnmangino
Associate II

1) I have a IAR STM3210B - SK EVM loaded with the example workspace called IAR-STM32-SK and project titled virtualcom loaded to flash on the EVM. The LCD message says it is this project.

2) Using the VCPDriver_V1.1_Setup from ST website.

3) Windows XP with latest updates

I connect the EVM and the pc sees the device and I cancel the new hardware manager as the Virtual comm port install says to do, then I continue the comm port install but it does not add a virtual comm port. It has the device as an unknown device with no driver. The device is called CD Class.

What SW from the ST site or where ever should I use to program the EVM and what else do I need to do to get the comm port working.

I do not have any problems with the STM32 programming its all in the Virtual Comm Port install. I do not have a CATC or other USB debug HW. I have used other USB devices and their drivers loaded with no problem on other devices.

johnmangino
Associate II

I have it working. The clue was the CD class device name. The Virtual Port Comm wants it to be a different designation. I used a code example from ST for the STM32, modified it to work with the IAR EVM and it configured the virtual comm port. This is not documented anywhere I looked. Hope this help some folk in the future.

jj
Associate II

@John-

I duplicated your ''failure to install VCP'' on 2 WinXP SP3 machines. (replied to your tech spt. post)

To assist me/others - it appears that you changed the source code on your IAR Eval board (can't see how you would modify the VCP
peterwrigley9
Associate II

.inf file contents vs device descriptor ... ?