tiagomesser
Associate II
Posted on October 14, 2009 at 15:22

USB as Host open source

5 REPLIES 5
tiagomesser
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:23

As far as I could understand the connectivity line is capable of acting as a USB Host, but the code for implementing it is a proprietary one.

I'm not a experienced programmer, neither do I understand the USB protocol much more then what Wikipedia taught me.

And worst, I can't afford the proprietary code.

Is there anyone trying to implement this feature?

Can anyone with more experience share their views about the issue?

As I said, I'm don't have much experience, but if someone is developing such thing,

I would be glad to help.

Cheers Brothers,

jmrobert5
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:24

Sigh...

Check the stm32 site for 'usb host stack' there are like 6 vendors for the sw. Early looks for free sw yielded nothing.

jmrobert5
Associate II

Well I haven't seen or tried any arm7/stm32 software to do this. I usually cheat in the early stages and look for stuff already to go, like this:

USB Host device for micros:

http://www.saelig.com/FF/FF005.htm

Then I try to figure out if we need to buy a solution, or develop one ourselves. USB Host is NOT trivial by any means of imagination. Kudos to the GHI guys for putting that board together.

I have worked a project at work that used a Cypress USB host chip. The sw and libraries seem to be well done by Cypress for their products.

tomas23
Associate II

You got the ST low level driver for host and OTG for free, now show what you can do with the free implementation you mentioned 🙂

Attend our ST connectivity training in Prague and you get the Linux USB host port as a working example (still in development, we can read descriptors, though)!

irv
Associate II

I just got the 3210C eval kit (STM32F107VC) and have easily been able to compile and load all of the driver code and source examples for everything but the USB drivers. The documentation on the low level USB drivers is very sparse and a little confusing. It would be nice to have some example source code that calls the drivers (I'm specifically interested in using the part as a host). At least something that provides initialization and some code to get things rolling.