Associate
Posted on September 24, 2009 at 21:03

STM3210C-eval

3 REPLIES 3
tomas23
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:21

Hi,

the external audio codec has got SW configuration options, if the output will go through speaker or headphones. You solve it in SW quite easily.

Next, the socket option is more expensive by few hundreds of dolars, so probably not a good option for you. The MCU has got minimum 10 k erase/write cycles with guaranteed retention for 20 years at 85 deg.C. I tested at 25 deg. and got hundreds of thousands cycles until first bit in the whole sector degraded - won't most probably be your case, either.

And last - the MCU can be re-soldered by hand, my own experience 😉

danielmalan
Associate

I have recently received my STM3210C eval board and noticed that there was no sound coming from the speaker when I play an audio file using the demo media player. I do get sound when using a headphone.

Is there a problem with my board or is it a firmware bug?(Is the audio chip set up correctly?)

Another thing: On my board the CPU is soldered directly to the board, whereas on all the photos of the board in the literature, it is mounted in a socket. This is a bad idea since the flash on the chip have a limited lifetime and will need to be changed sooner or later (Especially on an evaluation board!!!)

st3
Associate II

In addition to the cost, I think the reliability issues introduced by a socket would far exceed - and appear far sooner than - any troubles due to Flash wear...