stefanxe
Associate
Posted on October 09, 2009 at 19:29

License/usage of code examples

1 REPLY 1
stefanxe
Associate
Posted on October 09, 2009 at 19:29

For my current project I found two interesting code examples from ST.

The first includes a simple copyright information in the file itself: ''(c) 2000 STMicroelectronics, AUTHOR : MICROCONTROLLER DIVISION / ST Rousset''. There is no further license information in the code file and no separate license file included in the download package. The files are available for download at

http://www.st.com/mcu/devicedocs-ST7GEME4-15.html

and named ''USB CCID, ST7SCR Evaluation Board Firmware, V1.3.0, Feb-2003''.

The second code example includes the following notice:

''(C) COPYRIGHT 2008 STMicroelectronics THE PRESENT FIRMWARE WHICH IS FOR GUIDANCE ONLY AIMS AT PROVIDING CUSTOMERS WITH CODING INFORMATION REGARDING THEIR PRODUCTS IN ORDER FOR THEM TO SAVE TIME. AS A RESULT, STMICROELECTRONICS SHALL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WITH RESPECT TO ANY CLAIMS ARISING FROM THE CONTENT OF SUCH FIRMWARE AND/OR THE USE MADE BY CUSTOMERS OF THE CODING INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IN CONNECTION WITH THEIR PRODUCTS.''

The deliverables of my project will be released under an Open Source license (probably GPL). Thus my questions are if it is legal to:

(A) integrate the ST code examples in my project and redistribute them (under the original copyright notice)?

(B) modify the license and publish the code examples under an Open Source license?

I assume the answers may differ depending on the both copyright notices above.

Any help is really appreciated!