ron239955_st
Associate II
Posted on October 23, 2009 at 09:35

Cheap Generic USB-JTAG adapter

5 REPLIES 5
ron239955_st
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:27

Hello, my company recently made a decision to move to the STM32 processor for one of our products. We got a Keil Dev board, but we are now trying to move toward an Eclipse/GCC solution for software. However, none of our JTAG adapters work with Eclipse. The Keil Dev board came with a ULINK-ME and my boss had a IAR J-Link KS - neither appear to be working with Eclipse-OpenOCD.

I was wondering what are good solutions for more generic and cheaper JTAG interfaces. We see the Segger adapters which seem to be a solid choice, but are pricey. What else?

Thanks in advance.

[ This message was edited by: ron.blancarte on 20-10-2009 23:33 ]

paulsmitton9
Associate II

The amontec jtagkey tiny is not the best (it uses an ftdi chip),

but I've found it works fine and is fairly easy to get going.

It only costs 29 euros plus a bit more postage.

http://www.amontec.com/jtagkey-tiny.shtml

gds2
Associate II

Been using olimex ''arm-usb-ocd'' with openocd (new versions from the project svn or git) with insight debugger on linux sometimes on xp. Also used jlink ks with same openocd version. Should work with eclipse I would think since it also uses gdb underneath. openocd mail list at berlios might have more info and people to help you.

With jlink ks had to upgrade its internal firmware. How this is done is discussed on the list. The olimex jtag is cheap and works fine as-is. I like it fine (should probably buy a spare!).

domen2
Associate III

amontec, olimex and some other companies make usb dongles that cost around 50eur

Heh, ok, it was an old message for which I forgot to ''send''.

On prices - olimex doesn't include VAT, for amontec you'll probably pay customs, unless you're in .ch, so -> ~50.

[ This message was edited by: domen on 22-10-2009 10:06 ]

st3
Associate II

Quote:

We see the Segger adapters which seem to be a solid choice, but are pricey.

What constitutes ''pricey'' for you?