Associate II
Posted on December 27, 2009 at 15:37

I've run away from USB forum

5 REPLIES 5
elil1975
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:35

Dear Sirs,

Today I published a message in ST USB forum, but then I saw that this forum is not too popular, so I'm copying down my message to this forum.

Since I have neither experience nor knowledge in USB, I would like to consult here at the forum with anybody who do have knowledge in USB. I'm going to develop a product based on STM32. Among other things the product will have a small USB (Device) application that is defined as ''nice to have feature'' rather then requirement, it is to say I must not to waste my time for it. Today I have a few options to obtain on-the-shelf USB stack. Seemingly, ST provides it for free and there are also some third party vendors that offer to me USB stacks, for example, IAR. I tested ST example with STM3210E evaluation board and it looks working, so my question is there a reason to buy anyway the stack from another vendor rather then to use the free one ? The ST example I tested is Mass Storage Device, but I'm not sure that it is the USB class that we will finally work with, perhaps USB CDC fits better my application. So, may be ST free USB is not full implemented USB stack ?

Every advice would be greatly appreciated,

E.L.

16-32micros
Associate III

Dear E.L.

Our Free device stack is already used in production with several customers and is USB-IF Certified. If you would like to use a simple project for data transmitting/receiving from a Host : CDC is the most appropriate , You can use it.

However, If you need more features and classes and integrate an RTOS and other Commercial Stacks like File systems etc... then you can to consider to get one of our wide partners portfolio offer, You will have an excellent support without pain to speed your development cycle.

Cheers,

STOne-32.

[ This message was edited by: STOne-32 on 22-12-2009 21:59 ]

st3
Associate II

Quote:

I'm copying down my message to this forum.

Please provide a link in each thread to the other!

Otherwise you may be wasting people's time as they post something in one forum which had already been said in the other!

elil1975
Associate II

Dear STOne-32,

Thank you very much for your reply.

You wrote:

''However, If you need more features and classes and integrate an RTOS and other Commercial Stacks like File systems''. I do need to do integration of USB device with a file system for sure and may be with RTOS too. The question is how the USB stack is dependent on file system ? Even though you don't say me that I must use 3rd party products, but you say ''you can consider'', I would like to clearly understand what might be a reason for this consideration ? Could you give me an example what might be missing in ST Free device stack but exists at 3rd party vendors?

Response to ST7: you're right. I've just put a link to this thread into my message in USB forum.

best Regards,

E.L.

tomas23
Associate II

Turn it vice versa and ask the vendors, why they want their money if ST gives something for free 🙂

STOne-32 told already main reasons: support, features (mainly external to USB stack, like support for different memories, file systems, encryptions, blah blah blah).

With 3rd parties, you add a library to linker, call two functions and voila, the stack runs. You add another library, change an option in header file, and voila, the former stack now has glueless support in given RTOS... You fall in trouble, give a phone call and you have your instant support, without risk of waiting here in forum etc.

Do your homework and study the differences.