padempse
Associate II
Posted on December 10, 2009 at 02:26

kludge shield

5 REPLIES 5
padempse
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 15:06

Since here is no easy shield for the STM8S-discovery I'm building my own. I bought several IDC crimp connectors and some ribbon cable to make connectors to my breadboard. There are a ton of these connectors in the Digikey catalogue but I was able to get them locally. I'll split the ribbon cable and put the free ends into the appropriate areas of my breadboad.

st3
Associate II

Sorry, what do you mean by a ''sheild'' here?

m_kisacanin
Associate II

🙂

Apparently two ''worlds'' clashing here - Discovery and Arduino

🙂

In Arduino world, a shield is a piggy back board that either has some hardware functionality (stepper motor driver, ethernet, ...), or is just an extension that gets all the pins to a proto board alike area.

No doubts, four headers on Discovery will get their shield one day 🙂

Unfortunatelly, ST designers apparently have not have a ''shield'' in mind - clearance on board (power selector jumper, 16M crystal) is barally sufficient to do someting quickly, but I'm sure open minded people on this board wil come up with ideas in no time

m_kisacanin
Associate II

Can't say what they wanted to do, but looks like ''enthusiasts'' are starting to embrace it.

TI did similar with MSP430, PIC not far behind.

Might be something in attracting ''massess'' and hoping for some of that to turn quantities one day.

I'm in, might be a fun ride 🙂

st3
Associate II

Quote:

Apparently two ''worlds'' clashing here - Discovery and Arduino

As I understand it, Arduino is specifically designed & marketed as a ''platform'' for enthusiasts to use in their projects.

I don't know what ST intended with the Discovery, but I suspect that it is intended as a marketing tool to sell STM8S chips - not really as a product in its own right.

After all, ST is a chipmaker; their business is selling chips in huge quantities - not a (relatively) few Discovery boards...