simonstapleton9
Associate II
Posted on December 04, 2009 at 10:13

ST-Link USB wire protocols

1 REPLY 1
simonstapleton9
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 15:06

This is mainly aimed at patocheham, but if any other ST-type bods wish to chime in, that would be great.

I've picked up a bunch of STM8S-discovery boards, very nice pieces of kit, especially for the price. I can see myself using these a lot.

My main problem here is the requirement to use Windows; although the toolkit works quite nicely using VirtualBox and W2K under OSX, it would be nice to be able to put together a toolkit that's not tied to Windows. I personally don't care much about C, as I do pretty much everything in assembler, and I can already assemble code outside of the ST toolkit with no particular problems. My main problem is the need to fire up a windows session just to use the SWIM adaptor.

I know ST already provide the SWIM protocol documentation, and with a bit of USB logging I can probably reverse-engineer what the Windows tools are doing; that said, at a first glance, there appears to be a helluva lot of USB traffic going on, which makes for a lot of reverse-engineering work.

So, my question is this. Would it be possible to get enough documentation on the ST-Link adaptor USB protocols for myself or others to be able to provide an ''other platform'' driver, or is that too much to ask?

Also, would it be possible to get the source for the stm8s-enabled version of GDB as distributed with STVD 4.1.3? The latest I can find on the ST website is that for STVD 3.3.2, which doesn't have any support for the STM8 family. It should probably also be noted that the suggested way of finding GPL source in the STVD documentation doesn't work.