Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2010 at 12:07

Getting started with STM32F103RET6 programming

15 REPLIES 15
tkjmail
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:36

Hi everyone.

I'm new in the STM32 world, though I've made alot of projects with both PIC's and AVR's.

So I've bought the STM32F103RET6 stamp from Futurlec.com, but I really don't know where to start!

I know the programming language is C, but I don't know which IDE to use!

I've heard about Ride7? Then I've also heard about IAR EWARM?

But I don't know how to use any of them... I can't set up a project, as I don't know what to include and what to write

I really hope you can get me started!

Best Regards

Thomas Jespersen

armmcu
Associate II

Hi tkjmail,

I guess the main difference that you should bear in mind:

Ride7 is including: A GNU C/C++ Compiler for STM32(Free with no code size limitation).

However it's not the case with IAR IDE it's free only for 32K limited code size.

Concerning the second point,using the STM32F10x_StdPeriph_Lib avaible on ST web you will find a template project/examples , that can be run under these environment : IAR, RIDE,Keil).

Cheers.

tkjmail
Associate II

Ohh yeah, I see - thanks.

Then I will have to learn the Ride7 environment 🙂

But also about the code? Are the code the same between the different IDE's?

Do you have a coding tutorial, to learn the basics as setting ouput pins, Reading pins, analog in, PWM, DAC and such?

ccowdery9
Associate III

You would be advised to buy a board that comes with an IDE. Most IDEs come with a demo board. That way, you get tutorials, examples, debuggers and known hardware.

Chris.

tkjmail
Associate II

Yeah, but I haven't done :(

I've bought this cheap STM32 stamp from Futurlec.com -

http://www.futurlec.com/ET-STM32_Stamp.shtml

jj
Associate II

Possibly this adage applies, ''He who does not study history is condemned to repeat/commit mistakes.''

You've made several purchases - prior to knowledge of/interaction with experienced forum participants - and now must decide to ''salvage such purchases'' or ''proceed in faster, easier, enhanced manner'' - as outlined by generous posters.

You will find a ''wealth'' of info/guidance IF you ''stick with mainstream'' as advised by posters. (much less if you ''stray'' from herd...)

tkjmail
Associate II

Ahh yeah, no mercy :(

Just thought there would be an online tutorial introducing the STM32 language!

OBS. I have read Hitex's PDF about the STM32 family, but that didn't include any help with coding...

st3
Associate II

Quote:

tutorial introducing the STM32 language!

But you said you're writing in 'C' - so there is no specific STM32 ''language''!

You have two separate issues here:

1. Learning about the STM32.

For this, you need to refer to the STM32 documentation from ST.

This is independent of whatever software development tools & environment you may choose.

All the available documentaiton is listed here:

http://www.st.com/mcu/familiesdocs-110.html

2. Learning a specific IDE.

For this, you need to refer to the documentation from the IDE vendor.

This is (largely) independent of whatever target device you may choose - IAR's workbench, and Raisonance's RIDE are common to many different targets.

As already noted, the ST FW Library provides examples for both the IDEs (and others).

Quote:

I have read Hitex's PDF about the STM32 family, but that didn't include any help with coding

That's because it's about the STM32 - no about coding!

Again, if you want specific, ready-to-use, out-of-the-box examples, then you need to get a kit that comes as a complete bundle of hardware, software tools, debug tools, etc.

There is no such thing as a free lunch: if you want to save money by just buying a cheap, ''bare'' board, then you are going to have to be prepared to spend (a lot of) your time in bringing together all the tools and information to make use of it!

That's always the trade-off!

[ This message was edited by: st7 on 05-01-2010 11:44 ]

[ This message was edited by: st7 on 08-01-2010 11:17 ]

tkjmail
Associate II

I see and understand that you recommend me buying a kit, but this isn't helping me much!

As I've decided not to do, and now I've got this board and I'm asking for help... But you don't help me, you just tell me to buy a kit! :-Y