cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeH7 missing the LL low-layer API?

John F.
Senior
Posted on January 31, 2018 at 16:47

It looks like the latest STM32CubeH7 is still missing the LL low-layer API? Is it coming and if so, when please?

#stm32h7 #ll-drivers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Unfortunately, there was a delay to deliver this version which cannot be available publicly before the end of the year.

Sorry for such inconvenience.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Alex Beck
Associate
Posted on July 10, 2018 at 09:27

Ok lack of LL is a show stopper for me having invested so much time in LL for other chips.  

Jason Tully
Associate II
Posted on July 11, 2018 at 06:08

I was not aware of this until now. Happy I chose the F7 for my project. Not interested in the H7 until a proper LL API exists. Really glad I read this b4 I purchased one!

I imagine it would mirror the F7 LL API quite closely when the H7 LL API is released, is there development of the LL API for the H7 series planned or what?

I find the HAL API redundant in most cases, being that the equivalent LL API is much cleaner and easier for me. I only use the HAL where no LL equivalent exists (QSPI, JPEG, etc)

Really I would drop HAL in favor of LL if they want to have a single api solution for each distinct series.

HAL is in my opinion over complicated and not nearly as clean and easy to use as the LL API (I've experienced only the STM32 L4 and F7 API's)

Deprecate the HAL, long live LL !!!

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on July 11, 2018 at 17:31

Hi all,

LL drivers will be added in the version 1.4.0 of STM32CubeH7 package. This version will be available beginning of 18Q4 on the web.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on July 11, 2018 at 18:00

Is there a V1.3.0 available now? CubeMX V4.26 is only offering V1.2.0, and honestly that's pretty stale.

https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stm32cubeh7.html

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on July 12, 2018 at 10:50

Hi Clive,

STM32CubeH7 V1.3.0 will be available soon, but unfortunately will not embed the LL drivers.

-Amel

Posted on July 12, 2018 at 11:31

Ok, will watch for it. Thanks.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Jason Tully
Associate II
Posted on July 12, 2018 at 21:15

Great news! Thank you for the swift answer on this!

I just wanted to also say thank you ST for the great NUCLEO development boards. Really amazing - they should be #1

on the best development boards to purchase in 2018 on Arrow!

Posted on July 12, 2018 at 21:39

The guys at Arrow really need to figure out how to box and mail things more efficiently, fast free shipping to me out of Las Vegas, but someone is losing a bunch of money on that deal. Use SUMMER10 for 10% off order along with free shipping thru July 20th.

Any way a $23 NUCLEO-H743ZI humming along at 550 MHz is something to behold.

The NUCLEO-64 is a bit restrictive, Shield/VCP snaggled up, the NUCLEO-144 is definitely a great break-out board. The F7-DISCO boards with the screen, shield and microSD make for great demos. Really like the STM32F769I-DISCO with the PoE and full floating point, you can do clever things with HDMI to large screens.

The H7 is a bit like the Galileo satellites that didn't quite make it to the right orbit, lacking strong support and focus, and no DISCO boards. Waiting on the next spin of silicon. Still like I said design has a lot of head room, so I wouldn't underestimate it. When the SPL was deprecated I moved to some more light weight code I can port across to different platforms and cherry pick the parts of HAL that help me and discard the ones that drag.

Hello,

Any update on availability of version 1.4.0 of STM32CubeH7 package (with LL drivers)? The beginning of 18Q4 has passed...

Thank you!

Regards,

Dave