Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F37x SPI FIFO and DMA

loeffel2
Associate II
Posted on August 26, 2013 at 09:41

Hello

I tried to migrate a working SPI master from a STMF20x device to the STM32F37x device. The SPI master should write and read 8bit data to some SPI memory devices (EEPROM or flash) by using DMA. Attached is the actual source code.

It seems that I now run into troubles with the new FIFO feature at the SPI periphery of the STM32F37x. Transmitting of the data works fine but receiving don't. It seems that the first three read bytes are wrong followed by the expected bytes. E.g. if I want to read 4 bytes from the serial memory the first 3 bytes are void and the 4. bytes contains the expected data of the first received byte. Both the SPI and the DMA are configured for 8bit word length. Also the RX FIFO level is set to 1/4. Therefore the automated data packing shouldn't be a problem. The DMA will also got the expected amount of requests. From my point of view it seems that the FIFO access doesn't work with 8bit data length and DMA access. For testing I tried to read the data by polling the RXNE flag instead of using the RX DMA (See define''BASESPI_DMA_RECEIVE''). This approach seems to work. Any ideas how I will get the RX DMA working and how I have to configure the SPI FIFO? Is there a possibility to disable the SPI FIFO?

Best regards Raphael   
1 REPLY 1
loeffel2
Associate II
Posted on August 28, 2013 at 08:58

Hello

As I earlier wrote, does the poll approach work. But if I configure the SPI for using the RX DMA but still using the poll approach (DMA for SPI RX channel not configured). I will also read in the 3 void bytes first.

Does anybody have any experience with the STM32F37x devices and using the SPI with 8bit data length and DMA activated?

Best regards Raphael