Associate II
Posted on February 10, 2010 at 23:42

Unique MAC address ?

6 REPLIES 6
ngaylard2
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:40

Hi,

I don't think it is unique and what is more frustrating is a search of ST's site doesn't provide any visibility or guidance on how to get a globally unique MAC address. I am at the stage in a project where numbering my MAC address 1..10 is not a problem, but I need a long term solution in a few months time.

Obtaining a block of MAC addresses is a well defined process, but you have to pay for them, and manage them in your production process.

http://standards.ieee.org/faqs/OUI.html#q5

http://www.google.com/#q=obtaining+a+block+of+mac+addresses

-Clive

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
janek2
Associate II
ngaylard2
Associate II

Hi Thanks,

The microchip option looks best for what we are doing. 

Regards

cwparker
Associate II
Posted on June 09, 2013 at 08:44

Clive,

So if I understand it correctly, there's no unique MAC Address programmed into the STM32F4xx? So for an Ethernet enabled MCU, we need to program one of our own? It sure seems like ST could have allocated one for each chip. At least it would have been there if we wanted to use it for a unique MAC Address.

Posted on June 09, 2013 at 14:02

ST doesn't allocate them. Sure they could buy them, and charge for the millions of usages that don't use the Ethernet function. What if your application needs two? People that make industrial quantities of Ethernet/MAC attached products already understand the process with the IEEE.

For initial development purposes make one up, or find one from an obsolete Ethernet card in your sock draw.

There are several applications and use cases of the STM32 which might require you to pay licensing fees to third parties.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..