Difference between UM1974 & UM2179 - both ''Nucleo-144''

Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on March 10, 2018 at 11:01

BothUM1974 & UM2179 have exactly the same title:

0690X0000060A2lQAE.png

0690X0000060A39QAE.png

0690X0000060A4lQAE.png

So how are we supposed to distinguish the two - without having to open both ?

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
12 REPLIES 12
Posted on March 10, 2018 at 16:54

I think Andrew's point is that it needs to be more obvious from the outside.

The divergence has started with the availability of Ethernet, and now the L4(+) parts.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on March 10, 2018 at 17:06

I simply described how I use these documents.

I started from selecting a board so it was not misleading to me as only one document is shown on the particular board page.

Maybe the ST also assumed that we start from selecting a board.

Posted on March 10, 2018 at 17:09

Also there a column  Part Numbers which might help someone differentiate boards...

Posted on March 10, 2018 at 18:43

Clive One wrote:

I think Andrew's point is that it needs to be more obvious from the outside.

Yes - that is exactly the point!

Posted on March 10, 2018 at 18:45

That misses the point.

The point is that the title should distinguish the documents.

Two different documents should not have identical titles.

Posted on March 10, 2018 at 19:01

I honestly got tired of the en.DM00123456.pdf name eons ago, and rename things using the DM number as a base and then a condensed description of the type of manual, rough parts covered, and revision number. That way I have some hope of pulling it out of my STM32 PDF directory.

I also asked ST to put a complete list of older revisions on the same page so I didn't have to dig for them.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on March 10, 2018 at 21:16

Not sure how you concluded that I missed the point....

What I want to say: same names do not matter as the the right document is available from the particular product page.

The typical use case is as follows: find a nucleo-144 board -> then find right documents describing the product. And this works because the document (the right one) is available from a product page.

For those who want to see both document on the same page, there is a column with PN (applicable MCU list) on the page where two documents are available so they can be easy differentiated.

Posted on March 11, 2018 at 12:27

Bogdan, there are other ways to find these documents. And with these other ways, e.g. some search like for 'nucleo manual' same name for different documents matters.