cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to quickly learn how to use the Ethernet on the STM32F217 MCU?

sima2
Associate III
Posted on April 03, 2012 at 13:44

Hello all.

I need to quickly learn how to use the Ethernet on the STM32F217 MCU. 

1. I need to be able to setup a webpage that is shown with on board measurements.

2. I must also be able to download and upload data/files to the MCU. (FTP or other)

And what about the RMII and MII, what do I select? I assume that there are a lot of different transceivers for that?

Do I need some kind of driver for the selected transceiver?

Where do I start?

6 REPLIES 6
simonlee0311
Associate II
Posted on April 03, 2012 at 14:39

Dear SirM:

It looks your situation very like me.

I suggest try to use STM sample code to learn it will more quickly.

I didn't know the MII or RMII also. But I try to keep learn and do it at the same time.

I am also very grateful to the help of my friends in this forum.

http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/APPLICATION_NOTE/DM00026013.pdf

http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTWARE_RESOURCES/SW_COMPONENT/FIRMWARE/stm32f2x7_eth_lwip.zip

Hope these can help you.

Simon

Posted on April 03, 2012 at 16:53

Perhaps you could get some boards with the 207/Ethernet already functioning and replace with a 217 part. ie start with something known to work, before getting creative with your own part selections.

http://www.olimex.com/dev/stm32-p207.html

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
sima2
Associate III
Posted on April 04, 2012 at 08:59

I received an olimex STM32-P207 board yesterday. The 207 is very similar to the 217 (I think). So I can begin to understand and test the Ethernet.

One more question. Is it possible to generate a 50MHz RMII clock with the MCU?

Posted on April 04, 2012 at 14:50

My understanding is the difference between the 207/217 is the availability of the HASH/CRYPTO block. There are a number of variants which share a common footprint.

Getting 25 MHz out should be easy enough, using an external 25 MHz crystal.

I suspect you can get 50 MHz out with a clever/suboptimal selection of a clocking plan. ie running the core at 100 MHz.

You could also use a single 50 MHz external clock, and divide that down to run the STM32F2

amin23
Associate II
Posted on April 05, 2012 at 13:23

Hello,

For RMII mode, you have to provide the 50 MHz clock by soldering a 50 MHz oscillator (ref SM7745HEV-50.0M or equivalent) on the U3 footprint located under CN3 and also removing jumper on JP5. This oscillator is not provided with the board. For more details, please refer to STM3220G-EVAL evaluation board User manual (UM1057).

Posted on April 05, 2012 at 18:20

For RMII mode, you have to provide the 50 MHz clock by soldering a 50 MHz oscillator (ref SM7745HEV-50.0M or equivalent) on the U3 footprint located under CN3 and also removing jumper on JP5. This oscillator is not provided with the board. For more details, please refer to STM3220G-EVAL evaluation board User manual (UM1057).

On his board CD1 (50 MHz) appears to be populated, at least in the web page picture.

Should be able to push PLL/2 out of MCO1, or MCO2, when running the CPU at 100 MHz (ie 25 MHZ x 4, or 10 MHz x 10), can't say if the PLL generates a nice clock