Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems debugging with STVD

disirio2
Senior
Posted on November 13, 2010 at 07:52

Hello,

I am unable to debug on the STM8L-Discovery using STVD, I always get this error when trying to start a debug version:

Connection error (usb://usb): swim error [30004]: comm timeout

I tested STVD versions 4.1.5 and 4.2.0 with the same result.

Programming the device using STVP works perfectly so it should not be an hardware problem. Debugging on a STM8S-Discovery works too so it is seems to be an STM8L-Discovery specific problem.

Does anybody know a workaround? right now I am unable to use the new discovery kit.

Giovanni

---

http://chibios.sourceforge.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start

6 REPLIES 6
napoleoni.jacques
ST Employee
Posted on November 15, 2010 at 10:25

Hello,

Following your problem, please could you check the below points:

- Did you verify the selected MCU in the project settings (Project\ Settings)?

- Did you verify the selected target (Debug instrument\ Target Settings)?

- Are you using a USB hub? If so, did you check with minimum cable length?

- Did you verify that USB STM8L-Discovery is well detected in Control Panel\System\Hardware\Device Manager?

- Have you the possibility to connect it on another PC?

Thank you.

Regards.

disirio2
Senior
Posted on November 15, 2010 at 19:31

Hi Angus,

Thank you, now it works, I had it connected to an hub but it seems to not like it. Once I moved on a dedicated port the system reloaded the drivers and now it works.

It is a bit odd because the STM8S-Discovery seems to not have problems with hubs.

Anyway, I can proceed with my project now.

thanks,

Giovanni

onurvarol86
Associate
Posted on September 23, 2011 at 10:41

Hello Angus,

I did verified all of the points you mentioned, and i tried all usb ports on the computer, the problem is not fixed. I downloaded and installed st link usb driver, still problem occurs.

I use win7 professional 32 bit. In my old computer, with win xp, the same st-link works. Also 3 of my friends have the same computer, with professional 64 bit with no problem on debugging. I tried xp, win7 professional 32 bit, win7 professional 64 bit. It doesn't debug on these operating systems.

I also tried win7 home premium 32 bit, it debugs, but my company does not have the licence of home premium. Technical support says there is no hardware problem.

Regards.

napoleoni.jacques
ST Employee
Posted on September 23, 2011 at 11:32

Hello,

Did you try the latest version of ST toolset (there is a patch to apply on it after upgrade...)?

If so, please can you follow the procedure below and share the output zip file including data of your issue:

In STVD menu, choose Help\Generate Support File...

Choose a destination Zip file by browsing your hard drive and give a name to this file.

Then proceed normally to your debug operation until the error appears.

Once the message appears, close the stvd windows, the zip file will collect all the environment settings.

Then attach your file in a new message.

Regards.

onurvarol86
Associate
Posted on September 23, 2011 at 13:08

Hi Angus,

I created that error log and attached here. Also i added a screenshot of my device manager. It seems that my computer detects stlink only as a flash memory device. By the way, as you said, i installed 4.2.1 and the patch, error occurs one time out of about 20 tries. But still it occurs. The error log is created by that new version and the patch.

napoleoni.jacques
ST Employee
Posted on September 23, 2011 at 13:51

Hi again,

In ST toolset start menu, you can try to upgrade your STLINK firmware by W7 start menu, All Programs, ST Toolset, Set Up, Upgrade STLINK.

This will verify your current version of firmware and upgrade it if necessary.

Regards.