eziggurat
Associate
Posted on March 11, 2010 at 12:53

STM32 USB problem - connectivy line

4 REPLIES 4
niko2
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:42

There seems to be more and more reports on usb problems with connectivity line. All ST has done so far (at least on this forum) are couple posts, one stating that they will inform the maintainer of code (subcontractor?) that there may be problems and the second one saying that they may be fixing those bugs in upcoming releases.

There are a lot of people trying to find workarounds and spending a lot of time trying to fix the buggy code ST micro proveides us. They even have nerve to boast that their usb stack is certified by usb-alliance (or some such organization), yet it does not work with all compilers and rtoses, it does not provide functional isochronous in endpoints and there are several bug reports concerning virtual com ports not functioning as supposed.

I've been using stm32f107rc pretty successfully in my project except for the isochronous in EP problems. At first glance it seemed that ST had really put effort into firmware libraries of this product. Earlier I've used STR912 that had the most horrible firmware library ever. Ask anybody. After couple of months of pure agony I ended up (like most str912 developpers, it seems) writing my own code to access peripherals directly in order to get any work done. STR912 also had many features and misfeatures that made life very difficult for developper. After that project I swore I would never ever use anything from ST again, but I should have never said never... ST is currently the only vendor supplying small footprint MCU with 64kB of RAM and decent PTP support (no, Luminarys PTP is not what you can call decent in any way) and I need that for my current project. But if I end up writing the usb stack myself I'm gonna be one unhappy softare engineer.

So please, pretty please, fix the damn library and release it asap. And this time test it bit more thoroughly. Thanks.

eziggurat
Associate

The main issues we have is the really bad customer support from their engineers in Singapore and Australia and also that they already knew the problem well before we started using the connectivity line. We have already designed several products using the connectivity line and the USB does not work properly. We have been told by the third party company that it could be their usb core bought from Synopsys that could be the cause of the problem but they awaiting on ST feedback. The problem is they don't seem willing to help us when we had the usb problem. We have a long list of emails showing ST attitude towards us and their suppliers. They were hoping by being very reluctant and unhelpful that we would eventually get fed up with them and stop complaining. It is just pure laziness in their part.

kitchen430
Associate

If you think the USB library is bad (and I think it's ok) you should try the Atmel SAM3 library. It truly is awful.

It too is ''free and for evaluation'' and can't be used in a real product for reasons too long to go into.

All I'm trying to say is, if you think the library is ''crap'' and Atmel's would be any better, forget it!
Nickname12657_O
Associate III

Dear lee.paul

As I said in a seperate thread, we will solve this corner case issue on our Library which is impacting only our STM32F105/7 devices . We are working on it and we have identified the weakness, However we have to qualify the changes in the coming days and our local contact will get in touch with you.

Cheers,

STOne-

PS: I invite you to refer to our ''Code of conduct'' on these forums :

https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/_layouts/ST/MYSTForum/CodeOfConduct.aspx

and are here below as reminder :

These are the terms of use that every member using STMicroelectronics E2E Communities agrees to adhere to.

Remember that the words you enter in a burst of passion or indignant anger will be there for you and everyone else to see, sometimes long after those intense feelings have passed. That's not meant to discourage spontaneity, but just a friendly reminder of the long-term existence and effects of what you post.

You may, from time to time, find yourself in disagreement with someone else's opinion. At times like these, please keep in mind it's safer and more polite to take issue with the comments rather than the person.

By participating in STMicroelectronics�s Forums, you agree that you will not post any of the following material:

*** Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment.

*** Material that contains vulgar, obscene or indecent language or images.

*** Any communication that contains spam (multiple copies in one area or the same communication in multiple areas).

*** Material that defames, abuses or threatens others.

*** Statements that are bigoted, hateful or racially offensive.

*** Material that advocates illegal activity or discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them.

*** Unauthorized copyrighted material.

*** Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation

*** Material that impedes or otherwise prohibits communication; disrupts the discussion including, without limitation, using names in topical boards that are offensive to the topic, the team, and repeatedly posting off-topic messages in a topical message board.

*** no Politics or Religious discussions.

Statements or postings that violate the above terms will be deleted from postings upon discovery. While we may attempt to notify you if we move or delete a post, we are under no obligation to do so. Depending on the nature of the violation, STMicroelectronics at their sole discretion, may terminate your user account.