nikhilg171
Associate II
Posted on April 07, 2010 at 13:10

New STM323 library incompatibility with C std type specifier

7 REPLIES 7
Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:46

''I am getting a warning ''unsigned long *'' is in compatible with type ''uint32_t*'' . WHat should be done to remove this warning signal''

Obviously, use a type that is compatible with uint32_t !

Hint: check what size an ''unsigned long'' is with your particular compiler...

nikhilg171
Associate II

Hi,

This is clear to me but still the problem is not clear to me. I am using new CMSIS compatible STM32 library.

Here in new lib u32 is defined as uint32_t which is also defined as __UINT32_T_TYPE__ in stdint.h. But I am not able to find the meaning of __UINT32_T_TYPE__  in any document.

Seeing the IAR compiler document, ''long'' is defined as 4 bytes only. So now I am not able to find correct way to remove this warning signal.

Do you have any idea?

Rgds,

Andrew Neil
Chief II

Are you using the IAR compiler?

Have you asked IAR about this?

Here in new lib u32 is defined as uint32_t which is also defined as __UINT32_T_TYPE__ in stdint.h. But I am not able to find the meaning of __UINT32_T_TYPE__  in any document.

I think you have this backward, because

typedef  __UINT32_T_TYPE__  uint32_t;

defines __UINT32_T_TYPE__ as uint32_t, not the other way around. Perhaps it's just your English.

As for uint32_t, it is probably defined as

typedef unsigned long int uint32_t;

Which given IAR's MISRA support probably isn't exactly the same as ''unsigned long''

Perhaps you should be using the (u32 *) or (uint32_t *) casts instead of using (unsigned long *). It's always good to use a uniform and consistent coding of types, rather than casting back and forth.

-Clive

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Chief II

''It's always good to use a uniform and consistent coding of types, rather than casting back and forth.''

Absolutely!

nikhilg171
Associate II

Hi Clive1,

Thanks for the explanation. II agree that there should be a uniform way of using it but the problem is if you have some external library than what would you do.

Now coming to the problem. I know how to typecast but I want to understand the relation between __UINT32_T_TYPE__ and unsigned long. As I have some library in which only ''unsigned long'' is used while on the other hand in new STM32 lib u32 is defined as uint32_t which in turn is defined as uint32_t.

Hope the problem is clear now.

Rgds,

kevinow-wing9
Associate

It could be because uint32_t is really typedef'd as unsigned int...