Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No attention and Limited support on STMTouch with TSC pheripherial

VK Verma
Senior
Posted on May 04, 2018 at 07:38

Hi ST !

There is very limited support on STM Touch with TSC application use case on community. Most of the questions are not responded and almost nil application examples.

Ti and Renesas

are very aggressive with respect to support and Eval /demo board with their flagship micro-controllers, like both provide

1) Eval board for implementation of water resistive capacitive touch

2) Eval board with matrix capacitive touch keys to increase number of touch keys

3) Eval Board  demonstrating RF interference immunity on capacitve touch keys

4) Eval Board demonstrating capacitive touch with various overlay materials like wood, glass  etc.

Lot of customer are using STM touch with TSC and loosing their interest due to lack of support. Please share more details on above point no 1,2 and 3.

Thanks in advance !

VK Verma

https://community.st.com/tags♯/?tags=stmtouch

‌

borowczak.thomas

st.mcu

@

#stmtouch
8 REPLIES 8
Lead
Posted on May 04, 2018 at 07:50

There is very limited support on STM Touch with TSC application use case on community. Most of the questions are not responded and almost nil application examples.

Maybe because this forum is fueled mostly by users, and not ST employees. This is what 'community' means in this context.

Response depends on user's experiences with your topic.

Ti and Renesas

are very aggressive with respect to support and Eval /demo board with their flagship micro-controllers, like both provide.

If you need technical issues resolved, ask ST directly, or via a FAE or a official distributor.

This might not be free of charge.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on May 21, 2018 at 14:03

Hi

Verma.V.K

‌,

We reviewed your feedback and checked your expectations.

Be ensured that we are thinking about possible features to implement, or even possible improvements to apply for TSC peripheral embedded in the STM32 products.

Stay tuned to know more about our Touch solutions.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Richard Lowe
Senior III
Posted on May 21, 2018 at 14:53

While I may not agree 100%, I do strongly feel that the Touch Sense library is SEVERELY under-documented. We implemented an 8 channel touch application with an interrupt-based acquisition, detection exclusion,  environmental algorithm, and grouping. Works wonderful, but the time it took to scan through the source to make it work was waste of time. It should have been documented.

Example: Where do you increment the time for the ECS system? Even if you enable it in CubeMX and generate, nowhere to be found.

Solution: Systick_Handler is a good place to place this.

Documentation of how grouping works, how to scan banks, etc.. all poorly documented.

Others examples are: Great, a 1 key example is found but what about all the potential cases documented in the TouchSense getting started application note. None are found. Best can find is a 3 key example.

Still love ST products, but the TSC is an example of not the best ST can offer.

Posted on June 08, 2018 at 16:11

Hi Amel !

Thanks for your attention !

Our team is aggressively waiting for updates. Although We are already working on STM touch library and supplied several solutions based on it but still lot of questions are unanswered. It will be great if you can connect us with the right person so that we can start interacting with him for our specific quires.

Thanks and Best Regards,

VK Verma

Posted on June 08, 2018 at 16:34

Hi

Verma.V.K

‌,

For dedicated support, you needto contact your FAE and share with himyour specific.

Could you please go this way? We cannot keep you connected with our TSC experts in a public forum.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on June 08, 2018 at 17:39

ST needs some public facing support, the forum provides significant mechanical advantage in reaching lots of people with the same and/or similar questions, so the experts can focus on more complex issues rather than repeating the same narrative to multiple individuals separately.

While there may be trade secret or personnel issues, moving forward ST needs to be more transparent, and find individuals who can triage issues here.

If the strategy is to keep everything in a walled garden, the method to get a project registered and get access to the experts needs to be easier and better defined. I'd personally prefer to see an hourly charge, or paid incident, support model over a sales volume threshold. The maker/casual users you are trying to attract aren't going to fall into the latter model.

Kling.Brian

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 09, 2018 at 06:41

Hi Amel,

I understand your concern but so far what I have been informed that ST India is neither supporting STM8T (touch family) nor STM Touch library for (STM32) end user application. Therefore We started looking for other support options. I appreciate if some thing can be done in future. After all it is one of the STM32 peripheral.

Thanks once again for your consistent assistance.

Thanks and Best Regards,

VK Verma    

Posted on June 09, 2018 at 17:14

>> ST India is neither supporting STM8T (touch family) nor STM Touch library for (STM32) end user application. 

This does seem very odd to me, India has to be a huge and growing market. You'd think if they can't/won't support it directly they could at least facilitate access to the engineers in Europe who could support it.

ST marketing seems to be chumming the waters to catch all sorts of small-medium sized businesses, but only wants to catch 100K+ whales. Good ideas at small companies can turn into whales, and even if they don't they might spawn other ideas or localized pockets of knowledge/expertise. I don't have an MBA, so someone needs to explain the strategy to me. To me, the bulk of forum participants work at places where there might only be a handful of engineers, not rosters of engineers 100 deep.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..