Associate II
Posted on June 07, 2010 at 14:20

Using Olimex stm-H103 and stm32f10x_fw_archive

4 REPLIES 4
chikos332
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:54

Hi,

I don't know how to work on eclipse for embedded projects, but I can advise you, if you don't have other rapid solutions, to use the Atollic TrueStudio toolchain which is also using the Eclipse platform and is free... (I'm absolutely not from Atollic guys, I've never used this toolchain even).

You can find ready to use template projects in the latest version of ST firmware library:

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/support/micro/files/stm32f10x_stdperiph_lib.zip

(look in the folder ''STM32F10x_StdPeriph_Lib_V3.3.0\Project\STM32F10x_StdPeriph_Template\TrueSTUDIO'' with, I think, some useful explanations in the readme file ).

Good luck 🙂

frankfrank954
Associate II

Thanks chikos, yes I have had a look at TrueStudio a while back, I recall a code size and other limits on free version, hence reverted to Eclipse,GCC,ODT. Yes it is useful to review the examples. I have now reverted back to using the setup as supplied on Olimex cd after failed attempts at using StdPeriph.  I would still like to know a bit more about how to setup these libraries in Eclipse.

adrian239955_stm1_st
Associate II

Program Files\Atollic\TrueSTUDIO STM32 Lite 1.4.0\Library\STM32F10x_StdPeriph_Lib_V3.3.0\Project\STM32F10x_StdPeriph_Template\TrueSTUDIO\note.txt

''The C runtime library include many functions, including some that typically

handle I/O. The I/O related runtime functions include printf(), fopen(), fclose(),

and many others.

It is common to redirect the I/O from these functions to the actual embedded

platform, such as redirecting printf() output to an LCD display or a serial cable,

or to redirect file operations like fopen() and fclose() to some Flash file

system middleware.

The free Lite version of TrueSTUDIO do not support I/O redirection, and instead have do-nothing stubs compiled into the C runtime library.

To support printf() redirection in the full version, just add the following code

in in _write() function in the TrueSTUDIO Minimal System calls file ''syscalls.c''

located at TrueSTUDIO Pro install directory.''

So it appears there will be no way to make use of printf() in the lite version? Is this really the case as it would make the package useless for almost any conceivable application - other than frustrating hobbyist's who could never justify the outlay on a product such as this.

frankfrank954
Associate II

As per my additional reply under post GPL toolchain OpenOCD/GDB installers for Windows i have upgraded to current OpenOCD/GDB/Eclipse using various installers and now also using StdPeriph instead of of Lib supplied with Olimex STM32-H103 board. I would strongly advise any beginners on a budget to make this switch to avoid getting stuck with bugs from old software.