how to read protect F4 with Eclipse + openOCD

mehmet.karakaya
Associate III
Posted on April 29, 2013 at 20:22

hello forum ,

I am using openOCD   JTAG  with Eclipse

for downloading my code into STM32F4

I have a question ;

how to read protect my F4 after I download my code ?

thank you

#eclipse-openocd-read-protect
5 REPLIES 5
Posted on April 29, 2013 at 20:51

A generic solution would be to have code to detect and enable ROP as part of the execution path from ResetHandler thru main()

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mehmet.karakaya
Associate III
Posted on May 10, 2013 at 19:45

hello Clive ,

I was read protecting my F103 with Flash Loader Demo software from ST through USART1

is there no equivalent of this function with JTAG for F4xx?

second )  what is ROP ? Read O ??? Protect

I think your advice is to detect and disable read attempts from within my application code

is there any example for this code ? thank you

Posted on May 10, 2013 at 20:03

ROP - Read Out Protection

My suggestion is to code a method to look at the option bytes at reset, and then if they are not in an appropriate state that they are then programmed into the desired state. ie Like locking your front door after you've just stepped through it.

Or for that matter when production programming devices, that you have test/calibration/configuration code that runs at first execution, and the final step there is to lock down the device. ie Unique Keys, serial numbers etc, that don't get mass programmed.

Sorry no free lunch on this one.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mehmet.karakaya
Associate III
Posted on May 15, 2013 at 13:45

for anyone interested below is an answer for my original question

http://embdev.net/topic/295225#new

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on May 15, 2013 at 15:01

Hello Mehmet,

You can use the ST-LINK utility for ROP purpose. You can download the soft from this

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF258168

Best Regards,

ST.MCU

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.