Associate II
Posted on July 01, 2010 at 20:49

STM32 FLASH Page Write Protection

#stm32 #stm32
5 REPLIES 5
Brian1
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:57

Thanks for the suggestion. I found an STMicro example provided with my IAR install that seems pretty close to what I need. My version of the code is shown below. The problem I'm having now is that the FLASH_EnableWriteProtection function is failing, with a status of FLASH_ERROR_PG, when trying to write protect the specific pages. Not sure if there is something else I need to configure?

// Unlock the Flash Program Erase controller   

FLASH_Unlock();

FLASH_ClearFlag(FLASH_FLAG_BSY | FLASH_FLAG_EOP| FLASH_FLAG_PGERR | FLASH_FLAG_WRPRTERR);

// Get pages write protection status

unsigned int WRPR_Value = FLASH_GetWriteProtectionOptionByte();

unsigned int ProtectedPages = WRPR_Value & 0x0000000F;  // (FLASH_WRProt_Pages0to1 | FLASH_WRProt_Pages2to3 |

//  FLASH_WRProt_Pages4to5 | FLASH_WRProt_Pages6to7)

// Pages are not write protected 

if (ProtectedPages != 0x00)

{

// protect bootloader FLASH area

FLASH_EnableWriteProtection(FLASH_WRProt_Pages0to1 | FLASH_WRProt_Pages2to3 |

FLASH_WRProt_Pages4to5 | FLASH_WRProt_Pages6to7);

// Generate System Reset to load the new option byte values 

NVIC_GenerateSystemReset();

}

FLASH_Lock();

swhite2
Associate III

Try putting

FLASH_Unlock();

before your line and

FLASH_Lock();

after it. The flash controller prevents updates unless enabled. The write protect bits are in flash so...

swhite2
Associate III

The flash write-protect bits are stored in flash and hence need to be erased before writing if there's any 0->1 transitions.

Those bits are in the option bytes area of flash and this has its own erase function

FLASH_EraseOptionBytes()

The trouble with that is that it erases ALL option bytes so you have to write your own function to save the existing option bytes, program the write-protect bits and then reprogram the other option bytes.

I suggest you read the

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/pm/13259.pdf

manual (all of it).

damh
Associate II

The flash write-protect bits are stored in flash and hence need to be erased before writing if there's any 0->1 transitions.

It is more worse. Every 16 bit of the option byte area can only be written one time after an erase command to the option byte flash.

The option bytes have a ''xor check sum'' in each following byte:

option byte

check sum

option byte

check sum

Even if the flash could change single bits (STMs flash in STM32f1xx can NOT), the check sums would prevent.

Brian1
Associate II

Thanks for the suggestions. Here is the code I ended up with. It seems to be working pretty well.

// unlock the Flash Program Erase Controller (FPEC)

FLASH_Unlock();

FLASH_ClearFlag(FLASH_FLAG_BSY | FLASH_FLAG_EOP| FLASH_FLAG_PGERR | FLASH_FLAG_WRPRTERR);

// get pages write protection status

unsigned int WRPR_Value = FLASH_GetWriteProtectionOptionByte();

unsigned int ProtectedPages = WRPR_Value & (FLASH_WRProt_Pages0to1 | FLASH_WRProt_Pages2to3 |

// pages are not write protected 

if(ProtectedPages != 0x00)

{

// erase option bytes (must do this before writing option bytes)

FLASH_EraseOptionBytes();    

// read protection needs to happen before write protection, since this 

// function erases all option bytes

FLASH_ReadOutProtection(ENABLE);

// program user option bytes

FLASH_UserOptionByteConfig(OB_IWDG_SW, OB_STOP_NoRST, OB_STDBY_NoRST);

// protect bootloader FLASH area

FLASH_EnableWriteProtection(FLASH_WRProt_Pages0to1 | FLASH_WRProt_Pages2to3 |

// generate System Reset to load the new option byte values 

NVIC_GenerateSystemReset();

}

// lock the Flash Program Erase Controller (FPEC)

FLASH_Lock();