Associate
Posted on July 05, 2010 at 11:15

bootloader flow logic problem

4 REPLIES 4
chikos332
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:57

Hi,

You can use the GO command to jump to your application once the bootloader operations are done.

The issue is that if the device is reset it will enter in bootloader again.

And everytime a reset happens, the only way to access your application is to perform GO command. Yeah, that's annoying !

gilad23
Associate

This means I need to connect to an out device that will send the GO command. In most cases our board is a standalone board that will have someone to give him the GO command.

As far as I see it, this is a huge drawback compared to TI CPUs

damh
Associate II

If I do not have access or the ability to change the boot0 how can I start my application?</div>

Ok, set boot0 to GND. Your application will be started. You can program the flash trough JTAG/SWD. If you write your own bootloader, you only have to use JTAG for the first time.
swhite2
Associate III

If I do not have access or the ability to change the boot0 how can I start my application?

Sounds like a hardware design problem. I've designed a number of STM32 based products and always make BOOT0, NRST, USART1_RX and USART1_TX available via a connector and/or test points even on low pin count devices. That allows manufacturing to program test and/or production code into a blank device.

BTW if you make a RS-232 to 3.3V adapter and connect DTR to BOOT0, RTS to NRST and the TX/RX pins you can use off-the-shelf software to load code into your device. No custom development required.