Kuikui
Associate III
Posted on February 11, 2011 at 20:44

Looking for testers/developers for a new RTOS

2 REPLIES 2
picguy2
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:24

Any useful STM32 RTOS will be easy to make work on the Luminary Micro Stellaris product line.

How do you plan on making it STM32 only?  Dedicated ADC drivers?  Dedicated USB drivers?  Dedicated I2C drivers?  A useful RTOS will not have vendor specific I/O operations tied into its core.  The OS will have an I/O interface.  Swap the I/O and your OS runs on NXP, Amtel, Actel SmartFusion and more.

I have a non-preemptive Cortex-M3 operating environment.  It does not qualify as an RTOS because it has no preemption.  “My hardware guy�? calls it an OS.  It’s a simple stack switcher with several ways for tasks to wait for events.  Chief charm: very small footprint.  Besides no preemption its chief lack of charm is no reasonable way to save battery power.
Kuikui
Associate III
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:24

A useful RTOS will not have vendor specific I/O operations tied into its core.  The OS will have an I/O interface.  Swap the I/O and your OS runs on NXP, Amtel, Actel SmartFusion and more.

Well ... It will be useless then :D

I'm planning to make dedicated drivers with IT preemption and won't make any I/O interface or else... Goal is to keep it low-level, even if it becomes tough (or impossible) to port.

The main idea is : the less software stacks there are, the more ''powerfull'' it will be.