Posted on January 31, 2011 at 10:28

Temperature sensor & calibration

5 REPLIES 5
Kuikui
Associate III
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:23

no-one ever tried ?

If I store the V25 offset in flash, will this value still be valid after several days or years without power supply ?

Let me try and get back to you in a year or two. But seriously, if you try some experiments, and calibrate a number of devices against some well controlled reference points, you should be able to see if is remotely consistent.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Kuikui
Associate III

hehe,okay, I'll be back in 2 years:p

More seriously, regarding some tests I've done, I guess the temp sensor can't be used to measure absolute temperatures, unless you calibrate it at least once a day ...

So, better use a dedicated IC.

denis
Associate II
Posted on August 16, 2013 at 10:43

I don't get why once a day?

Also, doesn't ST store the factory calibrated value in flash anywhere? Or those not calibrated at all?

Sorry reason I'm asking is because say some TI's MSP processors have temp factory calibrated values stored in flash. Just wanted to make sure ST does not do same

Posted on August 16, 2013 at 14:48

Some STM32 series parts do have TSCAL values burned in them.

It's probably quite expensive in time/energy to cycle temperature to different test points, and it's not measuring external temperature, but rather heat in the core likely dependent on voltage, speed, on time, as well as temperature, along with the thermal performance of the PCB it's attached too.

What would preclude anyone from calibrating at known set points in their own design?
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..