greg_t
Associate II
Posted on October 24, 2010 at 15:07

Secure Flash

10 REPLIES 10
greg_t
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:12

Is it possible to delete ST bootloader inside the system memory flash ?

What can I do to prevent others from stealing the program ??

Having to ask is probably a bad sign, they probably know more about the part and are better resourced. It is very hard to prevent this from occurring. Using ROP and disabling the JTAG can be reasonably effective for the amateurs, personally I'd be worried about the guys with the fuming nitric acid and microscopes.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Is it possible to delete ST bootloader inside the system memory flash ?

No, at least not documented (it could be FLASH or ROM), but it does enforce ROP, and limit read,write and execute functionality.

But again who are you trying to keep out? The rank amateurs or people capable of extracting code from far more hardened parts than the STM32?

greg_t
Associate II

Does it matter from whom ? 

So you say it is impossible ?

What is ROP ?

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2008/05/tarnovsky?currentPage=all

Does it matter from whom ? 

Clearly. And it also matters how much your code would cost to write from scratch vs pull off the device, and the motivation of the attackers. If your code you be written by a bunch of guys in India or China in a few months perhaps no one would bother, but if the code was worth $100K-$1M in development time to duplicate, some might be willing spend $10K in equipment and chemicals, and effort to recover what you have created.

Is your code worth stealing?

I have experience with IC design, QA and validation. I've worked with people that fabricate ICs and those that tear them down. When you see the world from that perspective you appreciate that a security fuse only raises the bar somewhat.

So you say it is impossible ?

No, what I've said is that you can make it more difficult, but without a clear understanding of the skills and tools your adversaries have you are clearly at a major disadvantage. I think protecting your IP will be very difficult, it depends on what your threshold conditions are, and whether having the device destroy itself is a viable protection option.

What is ROP ?

Read Out Protection - A feature in the STM32 to make reading out the FLASH more difficult.
greg_t
Associate II

This Read Out Protection is useless because the ST bootloader can Unprotect the flash ... 

I just need to config the Boot0, Boot1 pins correctly
stforum2
Associate II

''I just need to config the Boot0, Boot1 pins correctly ''

Did you try it? Could you get at your program?

greg_t
Associate II

I've tried it looks like it eareses the memory before unprotecting ...