Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:34

''I have some problems''

What problems, exactly?

''I am not able to build the communication''

Why not - what is preventing you?

What have you tried?

What results did you get?

What results were you expecting?

What debugging have you done in an attempt to account for the difference?

mfederici
Associate II

Hello, thanks for your replay,

I Can't display anything on my LED by the STLED316s. I Actually have 2 kind of problem.

1.  Protocol, I'm using the SPI (data and clock) <1MHz of speed + a pin for the STB. I'm not sure it's working. Is maybe better use 2 indipendent pin?
  2. Datasheet problem. The Datasheet it's quite complicate, i don't understand how I can display a number. For example what should I do to show a number on the first digit, The following what I've done: Select the digit (00100000), followed by the nymber i want shown then DISPLAY-ON. But i'm not sure about the datasheet, how can I select the digit, and which command should I use for the ''data'' i want show

Hope to get some help!!

Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 7:50 PM

Subject: STLED316

''I have some problems''

What problems, exactly?

''I am not able to build the communication''

Why not - what is preventing you?

What have you tried?

What results did you get?

What results were you expecting?

What debugging have you done in an attempt to account for the difference?

Andrew Neil
Chief II

Have you looked at the support materials here:

http://www.st.com/internet/analog/product/166850.jsp

Have you got one of the evaluation/demo boards?

mfederici
Associate II

We have red all support docs, and we have not the demo board becouse it seemed simply to use. we are using a small stamp MCU board, populated with a STM32F103, made by us, and that we use on different projects. We tought the demo board was not useful....more we have seen that just few days ago ST released the new STLED325, but it is not available on distributor in short time yet....More, We have looked for the FW of the demo board STEVAL-ICB003V1 to give a glance on the STM8 FW and to have an example to use on the STM32, but we aren't able to find it. Maybe do you know where we can find the ICB003V1 's  fw? It would be very usel....thanks a lot for your time. Marcello

Andrew Neil
Chief II

''we have not the demo board becouse it seemed simply to use ... ''

As that assumption has turned out to be false, I recommend that you get a demo board!

''We have looked for the FW of the demo board ... but we aren't able to find it.''

Unfortunately, ST seem to be aiming at some award for the world's least useful support website - there's lots of stuff like this which is only available on request from your FAE or distributor.

See: 

/b2dac913

mfederici
Associate II

Hi all. Now it works! simply we ignored the ST's tech support suggestions. They told us to use the SPI. Since we didn't understand how to use the SPI, we developed a specific protocol following the data sheet (very poor!!!) and luckly now it works. Evaluation/demo boards? It is a great idea, but if we had to purchase a demo board for any components/application we have to develop, we would need of a big store (more a lot of money, and a lot of time, becouse very often they aren't available: infact the demo board for the STLED isn't available ....Mouser, Digikey, RS, Farnell, and others haven't it). I hope that ST will improve quality of data sheet, docs and technical support.....

Andrew Neil
Chief II

/c6373e63