muralij21
Associate II
Posted on January 18, 2011 at 07:00

Ethernet Program

4 REPLIES 4
js23
Associate III
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:21

I really think it will not get much simpler than the lwIP sample. Using TCP always comes together with some complexity and it will take some time to understand an IP Stack. You might take a look at the lwIP homepage, a lot of documentation can be found there.

One way to make things simpler could be not using TCP, maybe simply plain ethernet with custom protocol. But then some custom software/driver on PC side has to be developed.

If you do not need the speed and flexibilty of the F107 built in ethernet interface you might consider using a F103 with external SPI ethernet controller like wiznet w5100.

Andrew Neil
Chief II

''unable to understand''

What, exactly, are you not able to understand?

We can't help you to understand if we don't know where your problem lies!

Are you a familiar with 'C' programming in general?

Are you familiar with 'C' programming for small embedded microcontrollers in particular?

Are you familiar with communications protocols in general?

Are you familiar with TCP/IP and Ethernet communications in particular?

''Does anybody have a simple example program''

That, of course, depends on what you mean by, ''simple'' - as CrashAndBurn says, TCP/IP over Ethernet isn't exactly ''simple''...

''It will be more helpfull''

But will it? If we don't know why you couldn't understand the example that you've already seen, how do we know that you won't have the same problem with any other program?!

touche

Or may be he's thinking of 802.3 frames, they were relatively simple. But IPX/IP and SPX/TCP get progressively more complicated.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
trevor23
Associate III

Hi David,

It all depends on what exactly you mean by ''I need to communicate with the PC through Ethernet'' e.g. via a web browser or some sort of server running on the PC (there are many options). If you do not know this yet then please define what it is you are trying to achieve and what your application is.

Trevor