Where is the ST-Link protocol specification

gbulmer
Associate II
Posted on November 28, 2010 at 14:27

Where is the ST-Link protocol specification

#jtag #st-link #stm-32 #stm32-jtag #stm32 #st-link #stm32 #stm-32
7 REPLIES 7
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:16

Do you represent a sizable business opportunity for ST, and would sign/abide an NDA?

Chances are you don't fit their plan. Pull the SWD jumpers and connect to some open debug pod of your choice.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Chief II

''Clearly, the specification must exist somewhere.''

Indeed, it must exist - but that doesn't mean that it's available outside ST!

The thread you cited said that the information was only released under NDA - so it's unikely to be the kind of thing that they'll discuss on a public forum, is it?

I think you will need to contact ST direct about this...
gbulmer
Associate II

''Indeed, it must exist - but that doesn't mean that it's available outside ST!''

Agreed. As long as no one asks, it is unlikely to become available.

As an example, ATI had closed source drivers for their graphics cards.

Openocd seemed impossible when it was started ...

''The thread you cited said that the information was only released under NDA - so it's unikely to be the kind of thing that they'll discuss on a public forum, is it?''

A few responses:

1, The thread I cited said ''The actual api was sent under nda, so i cannot send it on. It contains a lot more info about the interface (eg. dfu) that they do not want published.''

I infer that the information needed by openocd may not part of the ''interface (eg. dfu) that they do not want published.''

2. The understanding of the interface is now embedded in the source code of openocd, AFAIK that code is Open Source, and hence someone could go read it. Tortuous but apparently possible.

3. This seems to be a very good place for ST to discuss making specifications, or parts of specifications, for ST products openly available to their users.

gbulmer
Associate II

''Do you represent a sizable business opportunity for ST, and would sign/abide an NDA?''

I am asking the question here because I would like to see the spec without being subject to an NDA.

''Chances are you don't fit their plan.''

I was told that when SUN Microsystems were really running well, Scott McNeily sometimes said to staff that 80% of the people we need to be succesful don't work for SUN. Part of your job is to figure out how to be a great partner and get those 80% to help SUN be succesful. (To be sustainable both partners need to succesful.)

I don't expect I do fit their plan, but maybe I am part of the other 80%?-)

''Pull the SWD jumpers and connect to some open debug pod of your choice.''

Where would the fun be in doing that 🙂

Maybe I'll just focus on SWD.

IMHO, now that ST have given away or sold at very low cost ten's of thousands of STM32 boards, ST-LInk will likely be reverse engineered anyway; who would worry about damaging a free development board by trying to put a logic analyser onto it?

ST can choose to embrace and support developers interested and talented enough in their products to do that sort of analysis, or not. It would be encouraging to think that ST can figure out how to help that unpaid talent to help them.

Andrew Neil
Chief II

''It would be encouraging to think that ST can figure out how to help that unpaid talent to help them.''

Indeed it would. But, looking at the mess they've just made of the website, and the mess that is this forum software, and the repeated messes of licence documents, one might have one's doubts...

gbulmer
Associate II

''Indeed it would. But, looking at the mess they've just made of the website, and the mess that is this forum software, and the repeated messes of licence documents, one might have one's doubts...''

I am very, very sad to say, I have no good response to your points, the signs are not positive :(

Any company who depends on customers using documentation and complex technology before they can buy profitable quantities of product should NEVER EVER mess up the web site.

Better to fire the marketeer than alienate your user base 🙂

(IMHO opinion, a marketeer who is responsible for breaking any mission critical web site is going to be out of a job eventually anyway, it is simply a question of whether the company is still viable at that point, or not. :(

But, let me look on the bright side!

By asking questions, which provide opportunities to improve, ST might do things better just to shut me up !-)

Yes, I am an optimist B-)

So, back to my original question.

Would ST like some help to extract the pieces of the ST-Link spec which they would be okay with publishing? I am willing to help, and at very low cost 🙂

pekka
Associate
Posted on September 25, 2012 at 09:54

https://github.com/texane/stlink  ???