Associate II
Posted on November 23, 2010 at 10:52

Bulding aWeb Server

7 REPLIES 7
Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:15

''we need (sic?) the STM32F107 and external FLASH and SRAM''

Do you really need external Flash and SRAM?

There are members of the STM32 family with up to 1M of on-chip Flash.

It would be better for you to get your local Distributor(s) to come in and discuss this in detail with you...
ezrab
Associate II

but the price for a1Mbit is much much higher then an external flash .

Andrew Neil
Evangelist

But note that ST quote the STM32 internal Flash sizes in bytes - not bits!

And don't forget to count the total cost,  which is greater than just the component cost - as it includes extra design effort, extra PCB real estate & complexity, assembly, BoM, etc, etc,...

ezrab
Associate II

my mistake ist 8Mbit 1Mbyte .

external flash like S29AL008J is very cheep 1$ and we also need 512k SRAM.

what kinds of external FLASH and SRAM does the STM32F107 supports?

Any thing the FSMC (flexible static memory controller) will accommodate, try actually reading the TRM for the part. Your favorite FLASH part seems to fit the bill.

my question is are there any application note that would help us do just that?

A google away, we have

''Using the high-density STM32F10xxx FSMC peripheral to drive external memories''

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/anp/14779.pdf

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
js23
Associate III

Unfortunately the F107 has no FSMC and internal Flash is maximum 256k. This makes it a little difficult to collect data fast enough for transmitting via Ethernet: The fastest peripherial for accessing external memory is SPI with 18Mhz. Even a SDIO controller is missing. So maybe the best solution is connecting 16bit memory to a GPIO port...

BTW: The Eval-C board comes with a web server demo based on the lwIP stack. The software package is available for download somewhere here on the ST site.

Epic Fail there then.

If you're not tied to ST or M3, Atmel's always had good external bus interfaces.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..